Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign 48" Mower Height Increase

Bill725

The Simplicity mower decks are designed to be free floating meaning the deck follows the lawn contour using the tractor's front axle and the rollers on the back. The mower deck also has an anti-scalp mechainsm used raise the mower deck when the front wheel lowers.

I have always wanted to cut my lawn at 3 inches with my late model Sovereign. But, when the blade height is set to 3", the anti-scalp mechanism is at the top of the adjustment and unable to anti-scalp. Therefore, I have the cut height set to 2-1/2".

To get to 3" and still have the anti-scalp feature, I have installed a pair of 1/4" arbor adapters, P/N 1677274, between the mower deck housing and the arbors, raising the arbors 1/2". The attached Installation Instructions show the adapter mounted below the housing, but I installed them above. I also had to purchase longer attaching screws and a longer carraige bolt and 1/2" long spacer to raise the idler belt pulley up. I think there will be interference with the belt covers. I do not run with belt covers.

Mower Hsg Kit.jpg

• Like 3

I remember Al saying you get maximum grass lift when the blade is even with the front lip of the deck.  It helps "pick the grass up" that has been run over with the front tires.  

With your new setup, do you notice any cutting difference?  "Tire track" area not cut well?  

PS - I've avoided the whole "too low cutting height" issue by using my AC Homelite with right discharge deck in the hottest months of summer.  It'll cut up to about 4".  

Edited by PhanDad
spelling
  • Like 2

@Bill725 - Very interesting.  I did some investigating.  

I did find Al's quote:

"Hi, The blow out problem is directly related to the height of the front of the deck. If the blade tips are the same height as the bottom of the leading edge of the deck, this is the point that picks up the grass that the wheels run down and provides the best lift without blowing the grass over sideways and cutting unevenly. It also is responsible for a higher amount of blowout."

It's in this post (so I was hallucinating) , which is titled "Sovereign Grass Blow Back":

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/27758-sovereign-grass-blow-back/?tab=comments#comment-341660  

The interesting thing is, his write up is about the newer right discharge decks.  

I measured the blade position on my 48" Sovereign "Gullwing" deck.  The bottom of the blade is about 1" lower than the leading edge of the deck.  So I'd say our measurements agree.

I also measured my Homelite T-12 48", shallow, right discharge deck.  The bottom of the blade is about 1/2"" lower than the leading edge of the deck.  

• Like 1

@PhanDad, One of the issues with raising the arbors higher may be the drive belt angle as it comes off the lower PTO pulleys. I have only mowed once with it since the change and did not have any issue. I do however like the longer cut.

• Like 1

I would think that the easiest way to gain height would be to install larger diameter rollers. Find them may be a trick.

Not sure, but I don't think that larger rollers will raise the front of the deck enough, and may reduce the requirement for the correct front to back blade tip measurement.  However, putting taller tires on the front, will resolve both issues.  I have 1" diameter taller tires on my 917H, and can get the 3" cut and the necessary front blade tip to rear blade tip measurement.

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

I run 18" tall tires up front on a couple tractors as Gary mentioned. I think others on here have done the same. PS models will rub the taller tires on tight turns