Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor Topics-dynodave

dynodave

With 4 simplicity lawn tractors and 4 simplicity garden tractors strewn  across my front parking lot, I have been busy trying to gets some running.  With my main first success getting my dad's 717 going I can now cut the grass out in the back yard. A few topics come to mind as I have been away from the forum for quite some time. Some are questions and some are statement and some are requests for help or parts.

1. Switches: took a while to figure out there are two  basic ignition switches. Magneto/Grounding when OFF.  Points/coil power Ignition  On to run. It took a while to get the Mag/Gnd switch working due to rain/rust corrosion. I eventually found a new in the box one hid away.  I bought 2 new ones.   The new Bat/Ign switch was a unfortunate diversion. I have NO powered points/coil tractors.

2. The trans axles for the 616 and 717-727-728 are all 1". Cleaned up an old thread for me. 616 and 717 have no rear PTO shaft.

3. Ignition on my 3410S is FW magneto/points. 2 out of 4 caps were bad failing from leakage @200vdc 70uA-200uA and 1 bad capacitance-.04uF.  2 B&S new ones ordered/received and tested as new!  4 vertical shaft engines had bad caps including one new in the (0ld) box. The EI fixed the 616 and confirmed they are "N" polarity FW magnets. Looking to get more EI's. All available V-shaft  engines were gauss measured at around 1600G. I am afraid the coil is bad The engine starts but even with 2 different cleaned  carbs it does not want to accept mixture adjustments to rev up and smooth out. 120PSI compression.

4 Flywheel polarity on iron H shaft engines  is something I want to fix. Does B&S still offer regauss/polarization ? where and is there a fee/charge? I have the gausser machine power supply but would have to manufacture the armature/coil unit. It would be a big time consuming  job...

5. Anyone have 616/717 gearbox shaft for Rev-Neutral shifter dog,  not the gear shaft, Waiting on the 3rd new one and R-N is not ebay or simplicity available and will require hard face weld carbide and grinding to reclaim the old shaft....ouch.

6.  I have 8 iron H-shaft B&S. One has a gear type electric start. Looks like a later engine But it does not appear to have FW magnets/coil charging system. It is not EI and I can not find a model# on the housing. I have bead blasted the top and both sides where I have found numbers but none are seen on this one???? Do these, with the low starter,  fit in a 3410 or 7013/16 frame?

That's all my pressing issues for now.  TIA

Dave

Sounds like you have been busy. The gear-starter type engines  were found in some of the late 7000 series and the 7100 series. Most of those were 16hp engines. Some photos of the engine would aid with identification. 

First pix: L to R ,

1. 23D, flat sheet metal cover head, bowed out crank shaft cover, 3 screw carb, SN 60079
2. # or type ?, Jacobsen Turf King 75, later flat sheet metal cover, flat crankshaft cover, 3 screw carb 

3. 302431-0155 7412191 bore 3-3/8"

4. mystery engine, FW points/mag,  ring gear starter,  bowed top fins, tapered fins on FW side like next 16HP engine. No # found on FW shroud top right or left. Starter bottom barely 4" above sump bottom  which should clear the 3-3/4" frame side rails. Appears to NOT have FW magnets and coils for powered charging system. Would need sump replaced, sump oil filler will probably not fit frame and block has oil fill port higher up.

5. 326431   92022648. electronic ignition, magnet  S-N-S was given to me as the rebuildable core for my 7016-6, bore 3.545"

DSCF0828.thumb.JPG.174017311d544bc63393fe897d3b7a59.JPGDSCF0830.thumb.JPG.ce6e8cad5c4d6face1334122860445be.JPGDSCF0832.thumb.JPG.d8fefe5e79305bd9d558e4864749d322.JPG

On 6/17/2021 at 2:21 PM, dynodave said:

4 Flywheel polarity on iron H shaft engines  is something I want to fix. Does B&S still offer regauss/polarization ? where and is there a fee/charge? I have the gausser machine power supply but would have to manufacture the armature/coil unit. It would be a big time consuming  job...

no response? = flywheel repolarization to S-N-S  for EI no longer available from B&S? 

Having fought with the 616 FW/points ignition , then with the EI installed and it started first pull. I like that.

Pix of gausser I built from "industrial residue" which I use to  regauss british  lucas magneto's. I would have to manufacture the correct flywheel armature fixture of course...

DSCF0834.thumb.JPG.bf55b4cca35895956d05a24274fb9f24.JPG

DSCF0836.JPG

• Like 2

You only pay to ship to B&S. The info I have to repolarize the flywheel is either send it to B&S at:

Menominee Falls Distribution Center

W148 N9121 Patrita Drive

Menominee Falls, WI 53021-2272

Dock #23

or call

Gast & Sons (Simplicity Dealer)

9111 6 Mile Road

Caledonia, WI 53108

262-835-4515

Edited by Bill725
  • Like 2

B&S on-line help line does not seem to work anymore.  According to my dealer, B&S will now only repolarize a flywheel if sent by a dealer.  

• Sad 2

• 6 months later...

On a chain saw forum...One fellow offered this:

On the Briggs mount the coil upside down.
Kash

I responded:

I will assume you mean front to back instead of upside down. It won't mount otherwise. The coil armature must still face the flywheel.
The early engines are N-S-N and late are S-N-S.
I'll offer this to the Simple tractor forum as this advice has never been offered in the many years I have been a member. The factory no longer regausses/repolarizes flywheel for the public. I will end up making my own B&S flywheel gausser armature and do them my self. I have/own several engines to do.

****An additional thought...If the aluminum flywheel magnet holder that is held with two  5/16" slotted  spring pin is removed?

1. if the "load material/magnet" was square and able to be flipped over within the aluminum armature holder,

2. the magnetic field polarity would definitely become reversed.

(any one done this before?) or simply dismounted the magnet holder?

Edited by dynodave

Thanks PD

The timing being off was my worry too....So megafire  is a good option which I will source one out to try.

The "flip over of the magnet" question is still an unknown. I may still give that a try and see if possible.. After all it is only 2 x 5/16 spring pins. I'll report back when task completed as pass or fail results.

I can always regauss my flywheels but it's a bit of machining to make the steel armature to wrap the coil wire around. After that it's a piece of cake to repeat .

About the mystery engine. My Sears SS15 engine looks a lot like it, except for a starter/generator system.
I swore there was not any numbers stamped in the cowl, and I spent a lot of time with a flashlight and brake cleaner looking!
One day I had the cowl off, my hands were greasy, and some of the grease smeared into the numbers, making them visible. Once cleaned off, I wondered how I could have missed them!!
Found them where the arrow is pointing on your cowl.

61d72eb803756_MysteryEngine.JPG.600d5ac84ee00f32da63d566f046acd2.JPG

• Like 1