Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

v-twin swapping a big ten

Trenten

Noticed the engine in my big ten wasn't cutting it had low power the wrong carb and a head bolt hole was stripped out so I decided to swap out the engine with a Briggs v-twin engine instead of the single cylinder Briggs that I took out (243431) here are some pictures of the progress so far I've just gotten the new v-twin and I am now cleaning disassembling it for a deep clean it had come off of a 97 cub cadet 16hp

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

image1.jpg

image0.jpg

UPDATE: Got the engine all cleaned and prepped for install covers put back on etc drive shaft adapter to engine bolted up and everything here are some new pictures

drive shaft link up v-twin.jpg

drive shaft pic.jpg

pic of cleaned and prepped v-twin.jpg

pic of new mounting holes.jpg

picture of bolting up adapter.jpg

Edited by Trenten
  • Like 3

I pray you can make it fit without hood mods. One of my kids has a Massey 14 with a twin Briggs. Works well, but the hood is a travesty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill725 said:

FYI, big HP, small BGB.

Yesterday I mowed about 10,000 square feet of never cut field grass (hay season) with my Sunstar20 and 48" deck with a brand new belt. The grass was at hood height and at times I could hear a little belt slippage. It felt good knowing that all that torque wasn't going through a BGB. I've done the same kind of stuff with Sovereigns and always had to grit my teeth. I assume the gear box on the deck is similar, but if it goes south, at least the whole tractor isn't down.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:51 AM, Bill725 said:

FYI, big HP, small BGB.

it shouldn't be too bad i thought about that and only went for a 16hp instead of a 20 or 25 really wanted a kohler instead of a Briggs but the Briggs bolted right up to the original adapter from the flywheel pully to the drive shaft its really only 6hp more than the original 

On 6/19/2021 at 9:20 PM, kwt said:

I pray you can make it fit without hood mods. One of my kids has a Massey 14 with a twin Briggs. Works well, but the hood is a travesty.

it fits perfectly in there it sits lower than the original engine the 243431 and its shorter in width the valve covers stick perfectly out of the sides of the hood so we are going to polish them up since they are aluminum the only sketchy part was we might have to unbolt the engine mounts to change the oil/oil filter 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Trenten said:

only sketchy part was we might have to unbolt the engine mounts to change the oil/oil filter 

you can get a oil filter relocation kit that you can put the oil filter in a better location to get to it

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 8:51 AM, Bill725 said:

FYI, big HP, small BGB.

is there any way to change ratios in these BGB's? 

Not that I have read.  1:1 ratio.  You can change pulleys on the trans.  The split pulley on the BGB is suposed to give you a little slip to remove some of the shock when you dump the clutch.

I saw a B-10 with a 14hp Vanguard v-twin in it, looked like a sweet set-up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GregB said:

The split pulley on the BGB is suposed to give you a little slip to remove some of the shock when you dump the clutch.

True. But, I have found  the problem with the later style 2-piece BGB clutch pulley is the tractor will run away going downhill. Meaning the transmission drives the belt and the pulley opens up. I am going back to the older 1-piece pulley.

12 hours ago, GregB said:

Later style?  What years/models?

The 700 & 725 have the 1-piece design. The 2-piece design started with the 1964 Landlord 9.

Talntedmrgreen

I can't say I have ever had a 2-piece slip like that.  Usually, my rear wheels would peel sod on steep inclines.  Sounds to me like something is out of whack there if it is slipping excessively.

Edited by Talntedmrgreen
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 4:01 PM, GregB said:

Not that I have read.  1:1 ratio.  You can change pulleys on the trans.  The split pulley on the BGB is suposed to give you a little slip to remove some of the shock when you dump the clutch.

I saw a B-10 with a 14hp Vanguard v-twin in it, looked like a sweet set-up.

Might have to do that wasn't really getting the speed I wanted I think I have the 1 piece design but I'm not sure anyone know the correct belt to use we kind of just wrapped a rope around it and took it into the store lol