Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Seat repair hack


MRR

Recommended Posts

This may not be an original hack, but as I was looking into replacing the seat on my Sunstar I didn't come across it anywhere so thought I would share.  Sooner or later tractor seats need to be replaced.  I had been staring at mine for a while, and finally decided it was time to do something about it.  Didn't find anything that would be an exact match for the mounting, so tried to find something easy to modify.  Then I decided I would try to refurbish it!  First thing I did was remove the old vinyl and foam (or what was left of it).  In addition to many mouse droppings, also found a completely smashed-flat mouse.  Don't know how long he was mowing with me.....

The seat was of course rusted, and there were a couple of cracks in the metal as you can see in the picture.  So I sanded it down, used some JB weld, and coated with a little Rustoleum and it actually looked pretty good!

IMG_9683.jpg.0d4f92ae80772c3f8ea9b69a1609ec9e.jpgIMG_9686.jpg.ddc30cabfaabf79c59036006ee32b4f3.jpgIMG_9693.jpg.18fbba35fc2ab055a230c99201ba2247.jpgIMG_9694.jpg.5c9c72b2f3d4d4d1d143304feb065622.jpgIMG_9698.jpg.356d1fa0fa1811c66004dd123d3e7a2c.jpg

Next I wanted to add some cushion.  I could get foam but knew it would suffer the same fate as most and be rodent food after a while.  I looked around at what I had, and decided to try using expanding foam.  It is easy to use, cheap, and can be "sculpted" with a serrated knife/hacksaw blade.  You can also get rodent deterrent versions, though not sure how effective they are.  I added the foam and let it dry for a couple of days.  Then used a hacksaw blade to smooth it out a bit.

IMG_9714.jpg.46173ecdd5a91986770499f31ed56302.jpgIMG_9700.jpg.1a320f37a1f3889870c26d4b61f0a7e2.jpgIMG_9713.jpg.e81427bd307d7506c5ea5c58b36caa93.jpg

I was thinking about spraying on plastidip or some similar coating, but decided to just spend $20 on a seat cover (with a water bottle holder, I might add!) and see how it works.  The foam is not as soft as a typical tractor seat, but I don't find it uncomfortable and the back support is actually nice.  I like the fact that I didn't have to drill new holes and try to line everything  up.  I bypassed the seat switch, but I actually left space if I decide to ever put it back in the seat.  If I can flatten a mouse, I should be able to activate the switch through the foam??  We will see how long it lasts, but for less than $30 it was a fun project!

IMG_0003.jpg.7f6d6d3b33dabd9718f42a1e99f506e9.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a good looking relatively inexpensive solution.  It's possible the jb weld won't take the flexing very long, but you can still add some fiberglass or other reinforcing on the back of the seat if it fails.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...