Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

64 Landlord or MW garden mark???

Rvcjacobsen

Hi guys brand new to the site and picked up my second tractor in the last month,( is that bad)? Have a bunch of questions but most interested in what it is. So it’s badged a landlord but has Montgomery Ward squire on tag  so I enclosed pictures and I know Simplicity made them for MW but wouldn’t it say garden mark where Simplicity decal is? Also if anyone could tell me what colors to use for a Landlord? Is orange right now but have seen red as well some of mine was painted. Has smaller 32” deck on it but works. May use single stage or rattle can and want to be close with match. I want to put headlights on it and wondering where most people mounted them if they were aftermarket or what factory brackets look like. Thank you in advance for any info,  Bobby 

94C21061-EEFD-4F9F-BB09-DDCD07D17B11.jpeg

C9978701-94DA-47A3-80B6-9423179FBBA4.jpeg

42A9C277-94AD-4CB0-B647-3CB4A07A3794.jpeg

2A51C3EA-CD8A-49E1-B685-29AFD2CD075E.jpeg

18323F15-768D-4475-A2FF-0BBB71804737.jpeg

2A53608A-1056-44E8-9A2B-1B1E0E401FC6.jpeg

That’s what I thought as well and the bolts don’t look original where it’s hinged. Everything else makes it a landlord. Thank you 👍

Welcome aboard. Good looking tractor. The wards seat and rear tires may be of value to someone who collects the Wards models.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2021 at 9:02 PM, PhanDad said:

I’m thinking someone replaced the seat pan of your Simplicity tractor with a MW one. 

MORE than just the seat pan....the whole transmission /rear half of the tractor.

Rear tow hitch is a dead give away, as are the seat and narrow rear wheels/tires.. The entire rear half is from a Simplicity 725 styled Squire...maybe even including the Bevel gear box..

Thank you for the info on the lights nice AC so I have a few Jacobson’s which I’m very familiar with, simplicity not so much still learning . So is it possible that somebody rebadged the front and it really is a garden Mark ? Any suggestions on what I should badge it as?  So the landlord had wider tires and different seat .Just looking to clean it up and make it look and run good didn’t pay much at all for it . Has a newer 9hp Briggs , runs good open for any and all suggestions 

8 hours ago, Rvcjacobsen said:

So is it possible that somebody rebadged the front and it really is a garden Mark ?

the wards version of your tractor would have been a bronze/gold colored tractor. and the seat would of had black sides not red. the seat and seat pan look to be original paint which was the same as the squire or simplicity 725 equivalent. here are some pics of the different tractors I grabbed of the internet first is the squire images.jpeg.jpg.aeeeec00cf18e45d8f0fa72690551b00.jpg

next is the squire 91964-Wards-Garden-Mark-Squire-9-garden-tractor.jpg.4f86d89d31bf371beed29071d3381761.jpg

9 hours ago, Rvcjacobsen said:

. So is it possible that somebody rebadged the front and it really is a garden Mark ?

No, not the slightest chance. As you can see from the pictures Stephen posted the Garden mark version of the front half of your tractor is painted completely different. Didnt see any signs of gold paint shining through the red on yours. 

My educated guess is that either the bevel gearbox or the transmission went out in your Landlord and the previous owner went the easiest and cheapest route ,  had a old Squire 7 available , and just rolled  its rear half up to the Landlord front and bolted it up.

9 hours ago, Rvcjacobsen said:

Any suggestions on what I should badge it as?  So the landlord had wider tires and different seat 

I would stick with the Landlord theme. Re coloring the whole tractor in gold would require blasting every part and repainting to keep any red from showing through the new gold when scratched. That and the additional expense of new decals.

If you want it to be physically correct for a LandLord you will have to find a correct pan style seat, a pair of correct 23x8.50x12 rear wheels with the original terra tire tread style(Good Years).  You would also have to replace the rear tow hitch setup with one off a Landlord. Shouldnt be too expensive to dredge up a parts tractor with the needed parts.

Reason I said the hitch was a dead give away, is that the older 7hp 725 style tractors used a single  pin point on each side of the hitch tang to mount a roto tiller. The Landlords went to a double pin point clevis type pin point.    look at your hitch then see pictures below...

Landlord style...just like what should be on your LandLord tractor

medium.DSCN2633.JPG.b9c9c73e528bc08f752b

This next one is on a hydro and is a little different, but you can see what I maen by clevis type...

medium.DSCN2634.JPG.b27891477e06b3cb03a6

11 hours ago, Rvcjacobsen said:

Any suggestions on what I should badge it as?

"Mutt" - Many of us have or had this model of tractor for "workers".  Now if you're talking purist or show tractor that's a different story.  

1 hour ago, SmilinSam said:

the older 7hp 725 style tractors used a single  pin point on each side of the hitch tang to mount a roto tiller. The Landlords went to a double pin point clevis type pin point.

Usually learn something everyday on this site.  Unfortunately I probably won't remember some of the learnings for long.  

Edited by PhanDad
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, s_stephen said:

the wards version of your tractor would have been a bronze/gold colored tractor. and the seat would of had black sides not red. the seat and seat pan look to be original paint which was the same as the squire or simplicity 725 equivalent. here are some pics of the different tractors I grabbed of the internet first is the squire images.jpeg.jpg.aeeeec00cf18e45d8f0fa72690551b00.jpg

next is the squire 91964-Wards-Garden-Mark-Squire-9-garden-tractor.jpg.4f86d89d31bf371beed29071d3381761.jpg

Ok thank you. I see that first picture a little different hood , l think older . They are cool tractors I think I’m going with Orange 

Edited by Rvcjacobsen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

No, not the slightest chance. As you can see from the pictures Stephen posted the Garden mark version of the front half of your tractor is painted completely different. Didnt see any signs of gold paint shining through the red on yours. 

My educated guess is that either the bevel gearbox or the transmission went out in your Landlord and the previous owner went the easiest and cheapest route ,  had a old Squire 7 available , and just rolled  its rear half up to the Landlord front and bolted it up.

I would stick with the Landlord theme. Re coloring the whole tractor in gold would require blasting every part and repainting to keep any red from showing through the new gold when scratched. That and the additional expense of new decals.

If you want it to be physically correct for a LandLord you will have to find a correct pan style seat, a pair of correct 23x8.50x12 rear wheels with the original terra tire tread style(Good Years).  You would also have to replace the rear tow hitch setup with one off a Landlord. Shouldnt be too expensive to dredge up a parts tractor with the needed parts.

Reason I said the hitch was a dead give away, is that the older 7hp 725 style tractors used a single  pin point on each side of the hitch tang to mount a roto tiller. The Landlords went to a double pin point clevis type pin point.    look at your hitch then see pictures below...

Landlord style...just like what should be on your LandLord tractor

medium.DSCN2633.JPG.b9c9c73e528bc08f752b

This next one is on a hydro and is a little different, but you can see what I maen by clevis type...

medium.DSCN2634.JPG.b27891477e06b3cb03a6

I think you are completely right. Sounds like exactly what someone did. Now is the BGB different as well ? Probably not going to change it just curious. No I definitely see the difference in the hitch.  I do like the landlord theme going to start looking for parts and pieces. And you’re right there’s absolutely no gold or bronze on the front of the tractor . Thank you for the info 

2 hours ago, Rvcjacobsen said:

. Now is the BGB different as well ? Probably not going to change it just curious. 

I dont think so. The next change for the bevel gear box was when they started using a larger diameter input shaft. Without looking up parts numbers in parts manuals I couldnt say for sure which model that began with, but I dont think it was with the 9hp Landlords.

3 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Unfortunately I probably won't remember some of the learnings for long.  

I too, am having that trouble more and more all the time.

I should also add on the non clevis type early rear hitches, to use a rototiller or other rear attacjhment,  you used a single long pin to run through all the holes in both tractor hitch and rear implement. When they went to the clevis style pin points on the tractors they switched to using 2 short pins, one on each side.

Back to the memory problems, I know this early hitching was on the wonderboy 700's, but I dont know when the improved hitching came into play. Cant remember if it was with the 725's or the Landlords.  I used to know all this stuff, but anymore I would have to reference pictures and parts pages to know for sure

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PhanDad said:

"Mutt" - Many of us have or had this model of tractor for "workers".  Now if you're talking purist or show tractor that's a different story.  

Usually learn something everyday on this site.  Unfortunately I probably won't remember some of the learnings for long.  

No,  just going to make a clean old tractor that I can actually use once in a while. Yes lol They say you’re supposed to learn one new thing every day my problem is I learn one and forget two things! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Bill. They look Like a much better match than the ones that I had found with the screw in the center of the trim ring versus the screw going side to side on the clamp appreciate it I’m going to PM you about the seat as well