Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sickle bar mower drive set-up

I bought an A.C. model 2025012 sickle bar mower to put on my simplicity 3410 tractor. It fits ok but there must be some kind of pulley set-up that fits under the tractor to reduce the drive belt speed. Not knowing this I hooked it up with a belt long enough to reach the clutch pulley. The mower running at that speed bogged the engine (10hp) down to just about a stand still. The spped also caused the pitman arm to break. It was already cracked as there was rust in about 1/2 of the fracture face. I would like information on where I might find pictures of the drive set-up and/or a place to get parts to fix 'er up. Can anyone help?

My B-112 should be very similar to your 3410. On my tractor there is an additional small pulley which runs the sickle bar. I suppose that this reduces the speed but you should never run the engine over half rpm on a sickle bar mower. These mowers were made by Haban Mfg. of Racine WI who wont return my phone calls. You should be able to get a manual by calling Simplicity, the number is on this site. Good Luck

Just got my sickel bar going also it works fine hooked to the lawn mower drive just run the engine at 1/4 throttle in 2nd gear. My bracket also broke after 10 minutes of use.All I did was cut out the bad part and welded a new piece in place and drilled a new hole. Found out that every time you use it tighten up all the bolts for all the linkage.
I am looking for the cable bracket for the lift mine did not come with 1. Bob

Also check the Operation section of this site. The
operators manual for the 2025058 manual is posted.

I did notice in that manual that the smaller pully,
which is used on the B series PTO, is used to drive
the sickle bar mower.

Greg