Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help!!! Carb trouble?? A/C Big Ten

poolshark

Heres the story, repairing my gas guage, melting the clear plastic strait, with a heat gun, super glueing the clear plastic to the gas cap, after detailing the inside of the cap with a red marker showing empty, I wanted to try a way to keep gas from entering the cap, I used ¼ inch masking tape wraped around the metal rod at the top of the guage, seemed to work, I checked it often to see if the tape was getting guey, it appeared to be fine after several days of use, well I didn’t check it today, thru on my dozer blade and pushed dirt for maybe an hour, was running good, then I noticed it running kinda sluggish, then it acted like it ran out of gas, and died, there was still plenty of gas, I knew it was the tape, I could see it in the tank, thinking tape got lodged in the fuel line, I pulled the tank, blew the gas line fitting with my air hose, rinsed the tank 4 times with gas, reassembled the tank, checked to make sure of good gas flow, pulled the plug, theres good spark, it will fire, but will not continue to run, acts like no gas. Ok I need help, did the tape glue turn to jello and clog a fuel passage somewhere, there is a brand new gas filter before the tape thing today, can I just blast some carb cleaner through the gas inlet on the carb?? Did I burn a valve running bad gas? Seems to have good compression, although I havent put a compression tester on it, do I need to rebuild carb? Please reply with some helpful advice. Thanks Randy

i like this pic, and it shows the gas cap http://a7.cpimg.com/image/E7/93/10234087-f473-02000180-.jpg

Randy, I don't think the tape had anything to do with your problem. check your governer linkage and also any springs on your carb. You might try ether but with care! I learned the hard ($$$) way. alway crank the engine first then give it a small shot while cranking. If it runs on ether then the carb's at fault. Sounds like you were working her sorta hard with the blade. Check the timing of the spark. Let us know what you find... Steve

Remove the carb needles & blow out the jets. If you replaced the fuel guage plastic, make sure to drill a small hole for a vent. Don't use tape or anything to stop the gas from entering the cap. Air has to get through. That's the vent. Use a paint that gas won't wash away instead of a marker.

Dutch and Steve thanks for helping, i removed the needles, blew out the carb, a few times now, the carb is filling with gas, but i dont think any is getting to the cylinder, plug appears dry, plug was black with carbon, plug has good spark, i have electronic ignition, all the linkages and springs appear fine, it was running like a brand new machine before yesterday, i did a compression test, 75 psi, i dont think i was running it hard, it seems to love pushing dirt, i havent taken it close to even half throttle with any of the attachments working, i have turf tires so if i do bind it up the tires loose traction, those tires dont hook up enough to even jolt the machine, i feel im easy on it, ive tried pouring gas into the carb throat, also the plug hole, and tried starting fluid in the carb, cleaned the plug, cant get it to fire at all today, even with either.

how do i check the timing of the spark, i have electronic ignition http://a3.cpimg.com/image/D9/59/10248153-9eac-02000180-.jpg

Might try pulling your plug and see if your spark happens when you are at top dead center. Maybe you sheared your flywheel key..MPH

its running again! Yea Haa!! i bought a new plug, and gas filter, it started right up, that old plug had great fire, maybe 20 hours on it, i got a champion this time, thanks for the help, i appreciate your efforts. till i break something next time. Randy