Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

gas tank cleaning

I think ill bring walnut shells to Rhinlander and market them as "mystery magic miracle cleaner" along with some pet rocks, salt reducer, and hair growth juice. I just need a soapboax, a megaphone, and a top hat see ya there. dougm

JohnN
I cleaned the rust out of my VB walker with Muriatic acid. I'd fill just enough to cover the bottom of the tank and a little more, let it set for a couple of minutes then rotate. Keep doing this until I cleaned all 5 sides with just the top left, I've never noticed a lot of rust on the top a the tank anyway. Another way I've done this is a little gas and a handful of BBs, same idea as the chain method mentioned above. John

my boy and I are fixing up this yeoman, boy is it nasty. Anyhow, the tank was rusty, i read through the many previous post on "what to do". I read somewhere walnut shells are used in certain industrial polishing situations, I grown walnuts from seed every year, put the shells in my tank with a eighth cup of cutting oil, put the tank on a paint shaker/mixer at work, 20 minutes later I emptied out the mud, rinsed with gas, shiny and clean. Walnuts, their not just for breakfast anymore. Just thought Id let ya know. have a great memorial day weekend, im going mushroom hunting Dougm

IBOY, I'll bring the get rich off real estate with no money down tapes and the info on gas futures as well as thighmaster and the chia pets. Maybe ill make a chia tractor it could mow itself. boy tv really is depressing isnt it? It makes me wonder is there that many suckers and fools and scammers out there???? Dougm

if you dont have access to a paint shaker or walnut shells a short piece of small chain works wonders too. It's heavy enough to break up rust that is stuck to the sides.

HubbardRA
I have used pea gravel from my driveway several times to clean out tanks. BBs also work or lead shot. Anything that beats around and loosens the rust. Rod H.