Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Nick1991

My New Project - Simplicity 7119 Sovereign

Nick1991

This has belonged to my grandfather for a couple years. He gave it to me this week. I plan on restoring it piece by piece. As you can see currently there’s no engine. The KT19 is in pieces right now. One of the cylinders is screws up and not perfectly round so the piston gets really tight towards the middle. So tight that the starter can’t even spin the engine over. But besides that the entire rest of the engine has been rebuilt by me a few years ago. New piston rings new gaskets i redid all the valves and valve seats and cleaned everything up. 

The plan now is too see if i can bore out the cylinder enough to make it round but still use the standard pistons. If not, I’ll bore both cylinders out to oversized and pick up some over sized pistons and rings from ISaveTractors or something. id love to get this tractor running and put it back to work. The only other thing is i really would love some attachments for this thing. Specifically a snow blower and roto tiller. Any suggestions on where to find some?

And overall what do you guys think of the tractor. Are these machines good?

1664D566-3B43-499C-91D9-E7C8D17D559A.jpeg

2B17EA1A-B71A-4EA1-B485-C848E2ED2942.jpeg

CFAB2BC6-19AF-4D82-AF88-2B8BDE4FD086.jpeg

D3DC0174-B37F-435D-8E88-9FDDA8CBBF1B.jpeg

85B4DA09-7FB9-444D-B022-E6EB30276D2F.jpeg

91C6D820-47AC-4823-85AB-E6C9CCEA7A9D.jpeg

C144BF35-B1F6-4BA8-B526-06C6992F7BE9.jpeg

F7EE1EB3-792A-413D-9641-DE1276309213.jpeg

79F8B1CC-EB74-4FFA-AABE-26A9F6871663.jpeg

MikeES
43 minutes ago, Nick1991 said:

The KT19 is in pieces right now. One of the cylinders is screws up and not perfectly round so the piston gets really tight towards the middle. So tight that the starter can’t even spin the engine over.

This is really odd??  With std pistons?  Did you measure the cylinder to determine the out of round?

My experience with KTs and Magnums is that the rings wear, but don't show hardly any appreciable wear in the cylinders.  I have overhauled a KT17 with over 2200 hours and not even having a ring ridge.

I wonder if there is something else binding that is preventing the starter from rolling it over.

Anyway these are good solid tractors,  any KT and or Magnum engine will drop right in.   Snowthrowers should be easy to find for under $150 and rototiller will harder and probably over $300.

• Like 3

Brettw

Most powerful gas powered Sovereign ever offered.  And I agree with Mike.  That is a very strange circumstance you are experiencing.  Never heard of such a thing.  I could certainly see a piston being too sloppy, but suddenly too tight?  And a STD besides?  Strange.

• Like 1

B10Dave

Nick; I see from your previous answer that the pistons have new rings installed. Did you check ring gap when you installed them.Perhaps the ring ends are coming together and won't squeeze down to the cylinder diameter? Did you try to slide that piston down the bore without any rings on it? Just something to check out.

• Like 1

ShaunE

All the above information is great! Nice machine! Most likely a 1979.  First year of them based of the three spoked steering wheel & the orange decal around the headlights.  Nice original survivor!

• Like 2

Nick1991
10 hours ago, B10Dave said:

Nick; I see from your previous answer that the pistons have new rings installed. Did you check ring gap when you installed them.Perhaps the ring ends are coming together and won't squeeze down to the cylinder diameter? Did you try to slide that piston down the bore without any rings on it? Just something to check out.

Yeah the first thing i did when it wouldn’t turn over was double check the ring gap. But if the ring gap was off i wouldn’t think it would be tighter in the middle and looser at the top. The fact that it’s different throughout the cylinder is what’s making me think it’s the cylinder itself. 

• Like 2

maxwood

Hello, After you get it running. In order to use rear implements you will need the rear lift  for it.

could you take a photo of the rear of the tractor , it has an interesting ball hitch on there?

the large weight holder on the front will need to be removed for a snowblower. 

Does Your Grandfather have any of the implements for it ?

A large frame Manual is avalable on the simplicity site.

Thanks Ken in Mi