Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1998 simplicity sovereign engine swap

mastgary

need to find a new engine replacement for this ch18s they stoped making them and a replacement ch640-3126 plug&play is on 5 months back order. is there a briggs that will fit with out too much mods?

Welcome to the club.

Since you already have a Simplicity "spec" Command, pretty much any Command will do such as this one from Northern Tool:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200914895_200914895?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Engines > Horizontal Engines&utm_campaign=KohlerEngines&utm_content=107993&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi8Pyt4uG8gIVXGxvBB092QESEAQYAiABEgIe5PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just swap over the "special" Simplicity spec parts such as the chopper screen and pulse fuel pump.  

I documented my conversion of a 20 HP Command to the Simplicity spec in this post:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/51265-kohler-triad-replacement-command/

And @BLT made the post into a PDF that's available in the "Downloads" forum:

https://simpletractors.com/files/file/141-kohler-command-repower-from-triad/

You have to be a dues paying member to get access to either.

Edited by PhanDad
spelling
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, mastgary said:

i don't have the engine any more it was stolen

Then you’d have to buy the parts to make it “spec”. Many are available used. 

Hello, Lots of repowers have been documented here  . I have done a 16 Hp vanguard  and a 22 hp Predator from harbor freight. 

Every repower has its challenges , form adapting the driveshaft to  flywheel  bolt pattern to finding the right muffler .

do a search for repower and take a look.

Thanks Ken in Mi

16hpbriggs1.jpg.1933bed29d5bfc37837a36317152b584.jpg

IMG_1881.JPG.3c40634d8a519d23903a6a0fbf83e233.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, maxwood said:

Every repower has its challenges

Amen. If another Command is put in you will only need maybe a $100 of used off the shelf parts besides the Command engine since your Sovereign is already set up for a Command.  All other repowers will require a lot more hassle.

21 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Just swap over the "special" Simplicity spec parts such as the chopper screen and pulse fuel pump. 

The chopper screen may be easier to acquire new (OPE Engines is a good source for new Kohler parts).  Depending on how much 'stuff' went with the missing engine you may also need the Kohler flywheel PTO adapter etc.

I recommend staying with the command. I can tell you My vanguard conversion of a Triadd sovereign my wife wanted to kill me over the cost of the wiring harness I built for it. I didn’t even delete the stupid computer. Lol probably would have been a cheaper harness if I did. 

vanguard wiring harness I built 3 years ago cost over 200.00 in material from autozone. All fittings are heat shrink  and or automotive pigtails for things like the hoods wiring harness for headlights and I think my seat pan light is also a automotive pigtail.  Front PTO is a automotive pigtail I think or was a stripped part from another tractor which means I’ll have to buy one later. 

Muffler:  I purchased a used Honda muffler,  possibly for our tractors and modified it for a vanguard engine. What a pita with a flux core welder. Sounds really good though.

I do love my Vanguard 21hp though it’s an animal.