Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B110 engine

Tom45

I have a 10 hp. Briggs B110 engine that I was hoping to rebuilt.  It has apparently been run hot with the fins burned off around the exhaust port, and the pipe threads burned out.  It had been welded around the port and the muffler pipe had been welded in since the threads were gone.  Does anyone know of a way to repair this?  

My guess it that it was run with NO exhaust pipe or muffler in order to "burn the fins off". 

Do they make a heli-coil for 1-1/4" pipe thread?  If so a good machine shop would be able to bore out the exhaust port and install a heli-coil.  Other wise maybe machine the surface smooth and drill and tap two small holes for a flange mount exhaust.

• Like 3

I would say a newer engine, if it got that hot to cause this kind of damage , I'd question the other parts also.  Just my $.02

I am running a ZZ on a 2 wheeler in the same condition. I was able to catch a bit of thread with a pipe nipple. I used a combination of JB Weld and a muffler mount to keep the exhaust pipe/muffler in place. I run it a bunch in the spring and at shows, and have not made any changes or adjustments in over 10 years