Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I got me a Homelite

dhoadley

Well, you got to start somewhere, I guess. I was dropping some junk off at the town transfer station (the replacement for the old town dump) when I saw this sitting in the metal bin. (not a real bin, but a 3 sided concrete enclosure they empty with a payloader) It was complete, except for a missing muffler, so I grabbed it. No spark, no gas, cobwebs everywhere. It's a mid-80's Homelite Super E-Z. Very lightly used as the original bar has so much writing still on it. The "Safe-T-Tip" is still on it, these are always tossed. The blue coils are notorious on these, with a simple fix. Bake them in a toaster oven at 200* for a couple of hours. It worked! A muffler off Ebay, new spark plug and filter, and a carb rebuild kit, and now it runs like a top. Not bad for $30.

DSC02794.JPG.b2e9d33f6fe56918675ee8130adb60e4.JPG

DSC02795.JPG.83e62ddc0de772d1ef1ae01537d9a471.JPG

Edited by dhoadley
  • Like 8

Wrong color red for me - I'm a Jonsered guy,...but nice save!  It's amazing stuff like this ends up in the dump!  I'd proudly hang one on the wall if I found it in the garbage.

• Like 1

Good find! Kind of sad just how many people have no idea. I have a Mac 10-10 that my nephew( who junks cars) found in the trunk of a junk. Has stock bar and started right up with minimal tinkering. So much good stuff goes to junk.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Snojetter said:

Wrong color red for me - I'm a Jonsered guy,...but nice save!  It's amazing stuff like this ends up in the dump!  I'd proudly hang one on the wall if I found it in the garbage.

I won't hang this up, I'll be putting this one to work. My wood stove is small, 15" max length, so after splitting I need to "size" up the wood. My Husqvarna is 2 lbs. heavier, and better suited for felling trees. This will be perfect for "sizing".

• Like 3

On 8/19/2021 at 4:53 AM, dhoadley said:

I won't hang this up, I'll be putting this one to work. 

Even better to see old equipment put to work.  That's pretty much why we're all here, right?

• Like 4

Dave , my dad had a large collection of Homelite and others when he was a live , don't believe he ever bought a new saw, He won a new 210 Stihl once didn't like it. it never ran rite, so I fixed it and wife has a good saw now, with the easy start

• Like 1

That, is a great saw.  Had one myself for years, one of the kids has it now.  For its day and age, it was very good saw.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've been having some trouble making it work. Starts easy, idles well, L at 3/4-1 turn out, H at 2-2 1/2. I cleaned the carb again.  Dig into wood and it bogs down, Had a small run of 2 dozen cuts where it cut well and then back to bogging down. I'll check compression. Any other ideas? Thanx, Dave

• Like 1

Pull out the fuel tube from the tank and replace the filter if you haven't done that already. Also, pull the muffler and make sure it is not clogged. From the looks of the saw it hasn't had a lot of TLC in it's past life. Also, do a good chain and bar groove cleaning.

That's a nice little saw, hope you can get it going!

Edited by AC710
  • Like 1

In addition to the fuel filter mentioned above, you should should check the fuel line and make sure it doesn't have junk in it that might move around and cause your issue.  

Hopefully it's not the coil intermittently failing when hot.  You baked it once, maybe you'll have to do it again.  

• Like 1

When I found it, there was no muffler, the exhaust port was clear (except for the cobwebs). No spark arrestor in the muffler, just an empty can. New fuel filter. I blew through the fuel line (with my mouth, tasted terrible), but I will put some compressed air through it. Looks like a pain to replace. It feels like fuel, not spark, is the issue but I'm easily fooled by such things (feelings and poorly running engines). Thanx, Dave

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dhoadley said:

I've used his videos to guide me through the resurrection.

When my Homelite XL102 threw a rod through the crankcase ruining most everything except the crank I thought the only use for it would be as a wall hanger. But he had all the parts I needed for a rebuild. For less than $200 I had a decent back up saw.

As I was right in the middle of cutting my fire wood I bought a new Echo 490.

Super EZ's were good saws compared to the modern Homelite saws.  They were a very good grade of homeowner saws.  I fixed one of my old ones up for my son-in-law and I believe he is still using it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 4:31 PM, spi said:

Another possibility is that the fuel line might be ruined by the ethanol.

On 10/19/2021 at 4:32 PM, spi said:

When those lines go bad, they will sometimes collapse internally allowing a limited amount of fuel to pass. 

Jim, that fuel line turned the trick. I got a slightly warmer plug and that fuel line, and now it runs fine. Hi jet at about 1 1/4 turns out, Lo at 7/8. Idles well, cuts well, starts easy. About $75 into it. Couldn't be happier. Thank you all for the help and support, Dave

• Like 5

When a local builder went under about 15 years ago, my friend, Tony,  was put in charge of dispersing the property. (NOTE: If you tell the guy to do this and he had NO inkling it was coming and you gave him one-day notice, don't be surprised if his heart isn't into making you money!)
As a result, I got a Toro snowblower that they could not get running and a Stihl 007 bucket saw they couldn't keep running, and 900' of 1" angle iron, FREE!
I also got a Craftsman bench drill press and a power metal bandsaw for $50, some Dewalt tools for a little bit of nothing,
I got the saw running with no problem. Somedays it would run a long time, other times it would bog down shortly into the day.  I realized the "bog down" days were warmer days, the "run good" days were colder. The fuel line was pinched in such a way that on hot days it collapsed, on colder days it held open.
I don't remember what was wrong with the snowblower, but I had it running in less than a day and it's run flawlessly ever since.

Edited by Hick
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Hick said:

I don't remember what was wrong with the snowblower, but I had it running in less than a day and it's run flawlessly ever since

If they'd hired you earlier, maybe everything including the company would still be running.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PGL said:

If they'd hired you earlier, maybe everything including the company would still be running.

I wasn't  hired; it was my friend, Tony, who was the manager that was given short notice. While manager of the local plant, he was a tiny cog in the whole company. 
They built modular apartment building walls in Grand Island, Nebraska and shipped them all over the United States. 
Tony, his wife, Kris (hot blonde), my wife, Shari (hot brunette), and I all went to Bible college together, and attended the same church.
Funny story: My wife was working for him part-time for a few weeks as a bookkeeper. His wife was a service customer of mine at a new car dealership. One day while taking another customer to work at a nearby town (5 miles away) we were stopped by a train. I noticed Kris was driving the car ahead of me (I recognized the plate first). I got out and went up to her car. She was on the phone with the office, talking to Shari while waiting for Tony to come to the phone. She had told Shari she was stopped on the highway near Alda waiting for a slow train. When I came up to the car she told Shari to hold on, there was someone who wanted to talk with her and handed the phone to me. I said Hi to Shari. This totally confused Shari that I was with Kris on a highway near another town!  We explained, and we all got a good laugh, Tony included.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

spi...back when I was young and (more) ignorant, my dad gave me his Mac 10-10. At some point, the clutch wasn't working. So...I made a holder for the spider and proceeded to get after it with an impact gun...spinning the wrong direction. The spider fractured into three pieces and the saw never ran again. Now, it would be an easy fix, but at the time I had no clue where to find parts (pre-internet). Last time I saw it, it looked like a pile of white powder after corroding in the moisture at his house. Sad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3