Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro transmission

BillyBigBass

BillyBigBass

So I seem to have an issue. I am working on a Simplicity Regent with a hydrostatic transmission. My forward reverse foot lever is sticking. When I depress and rock forward the forward peddle binds. When I let my foot off the peddle it continues to move forward and then it gives suddenly and the mower comes to a VERY sudden stop. Not smooth at all. I’m finding myself using the brake peddle to come to a gradual stop. I’ve oiled and greased what I can see of the linkage. I’ve gotten underneath a few times and can visually see the point of binding but not the actual cause of it. I don’t think this is how the mower is supposed to operate. Anybody have a similar issue or have any suggestions on what I can do?? Thanks for any response. I have been reading quite a bit here.

BillyBigBass

So I mowed with the Regent this morning. I still can not figure out why the rocker pedal is sticking. I find myself lifting my foot and tapping on the pedal to get it to release. Of course when it does it makes the mower come to an abrupt stop. I don’t know. Is this normal?? I wouldn’t think so. The machine is clean and I’ve sprayed and lubed the linkage. Any ideas?? The rocker pedal is held onto the deck by a clamp tube. I don’t see a grease fitting. Anybody have this same issue?? It’s kinda scary and alarming when the mower continues to move because the pedal is stuck and then releases and stops suddenly. My wife won’t mow with it until I get it fixed. And she loves to mow.   :)   Thanks for any response. 

Hopefully someone on the site can answer you questions.  I'm sure what you're experiencing isn't right.  

Most of us on the sight are owners of the large frame, mostly old iron tractors, myself included and therefore not knowledgeable about your tractor.  

Have you downloaded the parts manual for your tractor?  Maybe from the parts IPL, you can figure out what the issue is.  The fourth sticky post at the top of this forum's thread is a link to the Simplicity manual site.  You enter your tractor's MFG# and usually both operators and parts manuals are available for download.  

• Like 1

I 've not worked on a regent foot control as yet, however the Broadmoors I have. From what I know all the foot control Tuff torq hydro's  self centering mechanisms are internal to the transmissions. IE , when you push on the control pedal, the arm on the transmission will bring it back to neutral center when you take the pressure off.

If the brake also worked as a centering mechanism, I would suspect that linkage point to be the problem, but generally on this type of tranny the brake is completely separate from the control pedal system. You will have to look and see for yourself if this is the case.

On tractors with a "cruise" function that locks the hydro pedal in place for long distance runs, that could be a likely point of binding too.

If it were me , I would remove the seat deck so I could better see whats going on as the pedal is pushed in either direction. Probably would unhook the pedal so I could see if the arm on the tranny is itself moving smoothly or not. If it does move smoothly  repeatedly, then your problem is likely in the linkage itself. If not, then you likely have internal transmission problems.

Before going to the extent of removing the seat deck, you could also get someone to sit on the tractor and push on the pedal with the tractor off while  looking from the underside as its pushed on.

About the best I can do without seeing the tractor myself......

• Like 3

BillyBigBass

Ok, I’ll unhook the linkage and see if the arm of the transmission works smoothly and center itself. I’m pretty sure this is the part you are describing. 

9DF99D72-AFBC-445E-8EC6-7E03F4231AC6.jpeg

BillyBigBass

It is the last part connected to the transmission and moves down when reverse is pressed and moves up for forward. 

That does not look like a tuff torq transmission drive arm like I am used to seeing.. What model number  is your  tractor? Would be a 169#### number....

I could be wrong but download a manual and see if there is a transmission adjustment section. Just like the lever actuated trans there is a balance point between foreward and rev and yours seems to be out of adjustment. Like Phandad states, its either pedal linkage or cruise lever.

There was a posting about this type of activity regarding the Legacy XL between @GregB & myself a few years back.  Totally different animal but maybe similar symptoms.

If I'm driving the tractor uphill, & remove my foot from the lever, the tractor will stop.  If I'm driving the tractor downhill & remove my foot from the lever, the tractor will continue coasting until I tap the reverse lever with my foot.  I've found no adjustment to correct this & have no external leaks in the system. The tractor was purchased with 300 hours & has 400 hours on it now.  Liquid cooled Kawasaki, Non 4x4 Legacy XL.

12 hours ago, BillyBigBass said:

The model # 1692588, hydro gear # 1713761.  I take it the pic is the cruise lever on this unit?

I read the manual on your tractor and did not see a cruise function on it.

There is a section on setting the neutral and forward travel speed , but I dont think that will help you out. with your problems. Other than to check everything out carefully to see if there is any binding or hanging up anywhere, I dont know what to tell you.

@ShaunE's post above, reminds me that my Kubota BX25 does this sort of thing too when moving in reverse.  Have to tap the forward pedal and then it lurches to a stop. Never been able to find that problem either.

I picked up a MTD with one of these little hydrogears in it Saturday(got it for the engine to repower a Broadmower). I will have to take a look at that transmission and see how it works this coming weekend.

BillyBigBass

Thank you for all your help. I suppose I’ll go through all the linkage again. Maybe take off the pedal clamp underneath and see if it needs cleaning out. 

6FACD797-BC6F-4AE8-9261-EBE6A7D44E0C.jpeg

• Like 1