Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rickf

How to change 42" mower deck spindle bearings.

rickf
Hi, Bearings finally gave out today on my b112's 42" deck (one piece) Spindles look the same as the smaller deck on the b207. So, I found some great parts diagrams/drawings, but I wanted to make sure before pressing on things... These are probably the original bearings with plenty of rust around, and it's hard to see all the details. Anyway, I'd like to know what's the proper way to press the bearings out. Is there a split washer or snap ring on either end? Can I press in either direction? The diagrams make it look like they're pressed in from either direction. Thanks. Rick Does the new clubhouse have a better search engine of past postings? Might make me give it another try. (I'm sure this was asked before, but couldn't find anything)

dreaco_99
Well, I recently rebuilt my 48" mower deck and replaced all the bearings in it, and I think the design is pretty close. When you look at the top and bottom of the spindle after removing the blade and the spindle from the deck, there should be a metal seal housing and retaining washer sitting flush against both bearings. They should pop right off if they aren't rusted to the bearing. From there you have to press the bearings off over the spline as they sit against a lip where the OD of the shaft is turned down to the ID of the bearing. Aside from that, there isn't much you can't figure out from the diagrams.

rickf
Oops, arbor will find everything you need to know (and then some) In case someone else reads this down the road, there is a small inner lip on below the top bearing, the inner spacers should move so you can tap out bearings from either end. Amazing how the balance sheet works, after seizing a bearing, and not being able to get the spindle shaft out yesterday, Stopped at the local 'building/recycled metal' shop for and found a barrel of new mower blades, buck a piece for blades with Simplicity/AC part #'s on them. Then I get home, am ready to take the one stuck spindle out of the press (Cider presses go for double duty here!) but think I'll just tap it on the back before giving up and POP! Then all 6 sets of bearings came out without a hitch.