Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sharpening lawnmower blades

landlord2110

I grind mine either with a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder or the bench grinder, going slowly so i don't discolor the blade (this so it doesn't get so hot it softens the blade).  Then I finish with a hand file, but leave about a .020 to .030 flat on the cutting edge.  This is the way new ones come and from what I have read is the proper way to sharpen them.  If you go too sharp they will dull or roll over the edge pretty fast.  

The other way that works good is to find a friend who has a blade sharpener and let them sharpen them for you for free because they are such nice guys.  This hasn't worked too well for me yet.  O.o

Steve

• Like 2

I agree with Steve and use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with the blade being held in a vise.  I cannot picture the time it would take to file one by hand.  

I have & use an RBG multi directional blade grinder.  I then balance with a Magna-Matic balancer.  I sharpen them to razor sharpness & they last me all season of mowing two acres once a week.  The balancing in my opinion is more crucial than the sharpening.  If you search hard enough you will find varying statistical scientific garage facts (sarcasm) regarding how sharp to sharpen the blades.  I believe @steve-wis sharpens his by the most recommended sharpness of .020"-.030" of flat on the cutting edge. 

• Like 1

Shaun, that is how i do them.  I sharpen them so that the outer corner is a square edge, not rounded, and to a full sharpness.  Then I use a good file to go over the grinding a bit, then lightly hit the front of the cutting edge to just break the sharp edge off, probably alot closer to .020 than .030, but enough to take the razor edge off. I have read that it is better for the grass this way, but my lawn is pretty poor quality anyway so I don't know if it makes any difference or not to the grass.  But I only sharpen once a year unless I have one of those "unfortunate run-ins" with something like a rock, concrete step, wrench left in the grass, etc.

• Like 1

FYI, Simplicity has Fisher-Barton in Watertown, WI manufacturer their mower blades and they are made from their patented 10B38 material. They test blades by spinning them while a pin pops up. The boron prevents the blade from breaking. Also, new blades from Simplicity are not balanced because they will not pay the extra money for balancing.

Thanks to @ShaunE, he allowed me to use his sharpener mentioned above and I was so impressed, I purchased a slightly used Magnamatic MAG-9000 blade sharpener and mounted it their MAG-10400 sharpener stand and added a MAG-1000 blade balancer.

• Like 1