Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sticky situation??

dynodave

On my 616 I have the black rubber coated 3/4 circle tubing steering wheel. It is identical to those on my 717 and 727. The difference is this 616 one gets sticky when sitting getting warmed in the sun. I have washed it with soap (tide) and water,  washed and wiped with isopropyl alcohol. I seems less sticky if cold.  I wondered about it's history of contamination prior to my ownership with various fluids oil, brake fluid, grease, paint thinners. Any suggestion or known similaraties.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by dynodave

I have seen them like that, not sure why or what to do about it tho.  Thinking maybe wipe it down with armor-all or something like that?

• Thanks 1

Thanks steve-wis

Wondered if it is a lack of a curing agent for the rubber, if not external contamination? Is their a curing catalyst as part of the hardening process?

Any chemical engineers out there? Cleaning  seems to improve things but sticky always seems to eventually come back.sm02

Edited by dynodave

3 hours ago, dynodave said:

Any chemical engineers out there?

I am, but more on the engineer side vs chemical (as in chemist).  

I know with time (long), and depending on the catalyst used, acrylics can slowly depolymerize and when they do, the acrylic becomes slimy and shrinks as the monomer slowly evaporates.  I've had it happen with several old screw/nut driver handles.  

So I would think that the steering wheel coating could do the same.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lightly sand to rough up the surface and spray paint with "Krylon" brand plastic paint. Adheres well to pvc lawn furniture so should stick to your steering wheel.

Edited by B10Dave
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, PhanDad said:

I am, but more on the engineer side vs chemical (as in chemist).  

I know with time (long), and depending on the catalyst used, acrylics can slowly depolymerize and when they do, the acrylic becomes slimy and shrinks as the monomer slowly evaporates.  I've had it happen with several old screw/nut driver handles.  

So I would think that the steering wheel coating could do the same.  

The puzzling part is that only this 1967 616 is tacky and my 67 717 and the 727 are not affected, though all 3 are  sitting in the sun?  Seems to me that this 616 one rubbery-vinyl?? is contaminated.  If so what might it be, and what to remove and clean it without making it worse?

33 minutes ago, dynodave said:

The puzzling part is that only this 1967 616 is tacky and my 67 717 and the 727 are not affected, though all 3 are  sitting in the sun?

Although they are the same year, the material is probably not from the same batch.  

33 minutes ago, dynodave said:

If so what might it be, and what to remove and clean it without making it worse?

I have no idea; some suggestions were made above.  

Encapsulating it as suggested by @B10Dave might work and @wwbragg's suggestion surly will.  

• Like 1

Sombody (let's blame it on the previous owner) spilled gas or other solvent on it that started a chemcal reaction that softens the material.  I doubt if it will ever go back to normal.  I'd wash it with soap and water.  It still gets soft, try applying a little fiberglass cream hardener on a small, out of the way area in the hopes that it will reverse the reaction.  If that doesn't work, wrap it as previously mentioned.

Edited by wwbragg
spelling
  • Like 3

I have encountered the same sticky rubber on a small frame steering wheel. Never did find the solution, just changed to a later style wheel.. I would have to check if I have a extra one of those rubber coated ones. I know I have the later style hard plastic ones if you are interested (I send you a message about gas tank).

Tom

• Like 1

With not much to loose here is attempt #3 to clean the steering wheel.

On my outdoor propane cooker I mixed up a stiff batch of TSP tri sodiun phospate in an oil catch pan.  Lit the burner and boiled it for 15-20 minutes ,

It turns the rubber a lighter gray. Then I scotch brite scrubbed the wheel with GOJO pumice hand cleaner and it would seem to have some effect to rub off a very thin layer of thin tiny clumpy residue yielding a  black underneath surface. I did that once more and scrubbed it again gaining more black surface quicker and greater coverage..  the sticky looking  bumpy residue was becoming smaller from the scotchbrite scrubs. The third time after boiling again, I tried Westley's BLECHE-WITE whitewall/blackwall tire cleaner, again a little better more black surface. Then finally, after a blow dry, rather than Armorall, I gave it a final spray of food grade silicone spray as it is acetone free. The boiling brew residue had a layer of gray scum at the bottom of the oil pan. I can see the mold yields a smooth underneath and the part above the mold part line is textured where the sticky substance took residence. It now has the regular textured appearance.

The next sunny day will tell me if I succeeded to improve or cure the wheel or if I have failed. This morning while cool outside, it seems promising...

Added: after a full day in the sun, it is not sticky "this evening". We will see after another day in the sun.... tomorrow.

Edited by dynodave
more data
  • Like 4

Two full days in the sun and no sign of sticky coming out again. If you're surprised , than so am I, that this worked this well.

Paint the rear rims, mount the tires and seat and paint the steering wheel scuttle.

The last job is to redesign the gas tank hold down straps. They are a super pain to work each time the tank comes out.

DSCF0871.JPG

• Like 3