Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Drive shaft question

AllisChalmers716

Hello all, i was wondering if anybody has replaced the fiber discs with a piece of mudflap or other material because I don’t really want to invest more money in my free tractor. (The fiber discs in my ebay drive shaft look not well).

-Thanks,Tommy 

the problem with rubber is it is to flexible and would cause vibration in driveline and damage the bevel gear box. also there is not enough room to be adding a thicker coupler. the fiber disc is ment to break if there is a problem in part of the driveline. maby others have a different opinion but I would stick with using a fiber disc.

Hello, I respect you  trying to improvise to save a buck, But these discs are  engineered and tested for this purpose.

I have seen people try and use plywood or  rubber for the discs and then they have a failure and do  damage.

the engine & shaft rotates at up to 3000 rpm's  so take that into consideration for whatever you do .

Good luck and keep  trying.

Thanks Ken in Mi

They are expensive for what they appear to be.  But Ken is right on.  They are a precision  piece.  I know of one individual working on having these remanufactured.  However the material may be carbon fiber instead if fiberglass & they may end up costing more than the OEM ones.

After doing some digging around and it appears that i cant find the discs for less than $20. So i will take a pic of the ones that i have and maybe someone smarter/wiser than me can tell me if i have the green light to go ahead and use it with out running the risk of belting the drive shaft at 3 grand+ rmp's (again). 

-Thanks, Tommy

22 hours ago, AllisChalmers716 said:

Unfortunately im 14 and don’t have paypal so i will have to find them else where but thanks for the offer.

I bet you and @Brettw can work out a deal to send and receive a check or cash sealed tight in an opaque envelope to get the correct discs for your tractor. I keep extras on hand just in case.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AllisChalmers716 said:

Would coating my sorta flimsy fiber discs in spray in bed liner reinforce it enough to hold up?

Nope.  You can buy a fiberglass sheet from Mc-Master-Carr and use your old disc as a template.

Ultra-High-Temperature High-Strength SG-200 Fiberglass

5308n13-@halfx_637363663854220848.png?ve

• Color: Beige
  • Maximum Temperature: 410° F
  • Tensile Strength: 12,500 psi (Good)
  • Impact Strength: 12 ft.-lbs./in. (Excellent)
  • Hardness: Barcol 55 (Hard)
  • For Use Outdoors: No

SG-200 fiberglass withstands temperatures up to 410° F—higher than any of our other fiberglass raw materials. It’s also stronger than FRP fiberglass and easy to machine. You can even use it in punching machines to create a variety of shapes and parts.

3D CAD models availableFor technical drawings and 3-D models, click on a part number.

Thickness Thickness
Tolerance
  Each
12" × 12"

1/16" -0.008" to 0.008" 5308N28 $15.22

Ultra-High-Temperature High-Strength SG-200 Fiberglass, 1/16" Thick, 12" Wide x 12" Long

Each

In stock

22 hours ago, AllisChalmers716 said:

Would coating my sorta flimsy fiber discs in spray in bed liner reinforce it enough to hold up?

I know it may be tough to bite the bullet but best advice is to buy one from @Brettw above who offered to work with you to get them. The discs work better than anything you'll make or cobble together and they are one of the key components of what propels the tractor. Looks simple but that's a Simplicity. You will learn a lot from this group because they've tried everything and have kept these 40-50+ yrs old tractors running and working.