Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Soverign hydro seal fail. Help please and thank you

hurleyii

So my top hydro seal has failed on my Soverign. Also needs replaced on my 1920h ultima. My question is can I remove the assembly of the 16hp sunstar hydro and just bolt on to either one of the tractors. Specifically the Soverign as it's my only one that has a deck at this time. Parts diagram # 44 is what's gone bad. Can I take diagram number 42 of the 16hp sunstar rear end and install on preferably the Sovereign hydro? If not can I install on the 1920 ultima?

Screenshot_20210918-092123_Messicks App.jpg

Screenshot_20210918-092113_Messicks App.jpg

I believe you can swap them out.  Be careful to be sure the roll pin is in place at the gearoter or you will not move.  It just sits in the assembly, but it can fall out quite easily.  Other than that, you should be good to go.  How bad is the leak?  If it is minor, maybe just wait for the seal?

23 minutes ago, Brettw said:

I believe you can swap them out.  Be careful to be sure the roll pin is in place at the gearoter or you will not move.  It just sits in the assembly, but it can fall out quite easily.  Other than that, you should be good to go.  How bad is the leak?  If it is minor, maybe just wait for the seal?

So if I steal from Sunstar should I have rear end rotated so I'm picking the part straight up?

Parts rear hydro

You shouldn't need to do anything special.  Just watch when you take the charge pump assembly off of the Sovereign and you will see what I mean.  It's not a super technical item, it just needs to be re-installed when you put the assembly back together.  It's a pin, that goes through the shaft and engages the gearoter.  It's simple, but it can fall out and not be noticed.

On 9/18/2021 at 9:23 AM, hurleyii said:

Parts diagram # 44 is what's gone bad

I dont understand why you wouldnt just order a new seal #44 and install it ????

I put those...and the ones on the pulley side on several occasions. Just carefully pry the old one out, wipe everything off good and clean, them crefully tap the new one in . I use a socket the same diameter as the metal part of the seal to drive it in.

If you swap charge pumps you should still order a new o-ring for the charge pump. Going to have to wait on parts either way.

• Like 3