Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-110 Not Engaging Into Gear

Jon Laughlin

My b-110 will not move once it is shifted into gear. The drive belt is spinning but it does not engage. About a year ago I had a similar issue but there was a grinding noise and the tractor would go in and out of gear.  I discovered that some of the 8 gears were broken. I replaced all of the broken ones and it has been running great since. Before I remove the tire and open up the gear housing I just was wondering if it could be something else. There is no grinding sound at all when it is in gear..just the belt spinning. The rear axle spins sometimes, very slowly though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

22 hours ago, Jon Laughlin said:

The axle tube does rotate, but the wheel does not move. 

Because the axle tube rotates while in gear the issue is external to the transmission. The power is transmitted from the axle tube to the differential and then to either wheel. The power to the RH wheel is transferred from the differential to the RH wheel hub. The power to the LH wheel is transferred from the differential to the axle shaft. The RH wheel hub needs to be removed first, then the axle shaft second and the differential last. Be careful with the differential seal as it is NLA.

The A-C B110 is equivalent to either a Simplicity Landlord 2110 or 2210. If you do not have an IPL, download it from the simplicitymfg.com website using Mfg No. 990432/2110 Manual Lift, 990433/2110 Hydraulic Lift, 990496/2210 Manual Lift or 990497 2210 Hydraulic Lift. Studt the IPL before disassembly and during installation.

There is also a Large Frame Service and Repair Manual which has step by step instructions. It is available to download by dues paying club members.

If you have any further questions or comments, please come back.

Edited by Bill725

I have a problem like that and it's the key in the drive pulley on the transmission, the set screw that hold the key in loosens and the key falls out and the pulley just spins on the shaft 

See snip from Operator/Parts manual from Simplicity site.

image.png.ac612de72af36e2291f065955227dd70.png

jack up tractor push flange "E" towards trans.  Then check to make sure wheel hub "R" is pushed in fully to engage the differential.  Slide in "AR" collar and tighten.

That's what I had to do on my Big Ten.  Wheels and tires can stay on flanges, but any weights probably need to come off for access.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tadams said:

I have a problem like that and it's the key in the drive pulley on the transmission, the set screw that hold the key in loosens and the key falls out and the pulley just spins on the shaft 

20210920_113708.jpg

• Like 3