Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
HubbardRA

Grader Blades

Dave-Saratoga
Rod, Im also a member of the "Sore left thumb club", im not a grading expert by any means but my front dozer blade and center grader blade are my favorite attachments, and i can make things look fantastic with them, my sickle bar with cable lift also is a good thumb wrecker, i use leather work gloves at least on my left hand, it helps alot, but is not a cure, and it makes a funky tractor tan, especially when im wearing a tanker top, shorts and work boots, i do like the manual lift, you have excellent feel, and controll for the job, ive heard hyd lift, you dont have that kind of controll, but i have no experience, just what ive read here on previous posts, your thumb will get stronger, mine looks like arnold swartzneggers bicepts now, actually i have more a problem with my right hand tingling real bad, pretty sure it all the vibrations hanging on to the steering wheel to hard, anyway, if you find the cure to this problem please e-mail me the info. A/C Big Ten Randy

Dutch
Rod, I'm not familar with the exact details of the Simplicity mechanical lift handle. But if it works the way I assume it does, I would weld a washer to the end of the outside tube, and cut a notch or groove in the button. After pushing the button down, a slight side movement would lock it the down position. Another side movement would center it again for the up position and normal operation. Hope this helps your sore thumb from that *&#$%@ button. Remember, it's better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/button-lock.gif

MikeES
How about a "thumb lock" that is a wire that you pulled up over the top of the thumb knob to lock it down. A simple "U" shape that the ends are in the handle (drilled holes) the bend of the "U" can be pulled over the depressed thumb knob. Good Luck! Mike S.

HubbardRA
This question is for Dutch of any of you grading experts. I mounted a front blade (Confiscated from a Wheel Horse tractor) on my AC716 over the weekend, and leveled my driveway with it. Problem: My lift has detent locks throughout it enties range of motion. My thumb got very tired of holding that *&#$%@ button down the entire time I was grading. How do you guys get around this? Rod H.

Dutch
Rod, Are you saying you mounted the Wheel Horse blade on the front of your tractor, or modified it as a belly blade? If the blade is mounted on the front, adjust your lift rod stops to the depth of cut you want and let the blade and tractor do the work (don't use a spring equipped rod for grading). Here's my Adjustable Lift Rod If you mounted the blade in the center, let it float. As for lifting the blades, either double up on your Wheaties or add an electric or hydro lift to your machine. I initially mounted the blades on my 7012 with manual lift (which I prefer). But, repeated lifting of the heavy serrated blade got old fast. So, I switched over to hydro lift.

HubbardRA
Dutch, Thanks for the info.I was trying to level some uneven ground (spreading a pile of gravel)where I had to let the blade follow the contours or I would lose the gravel that I was pushing. The blade I used is not spring loaded. I have another that is spring loaded with runners that will be set up before winter. Not sure what it is off of, but doesn't matter. I will make it fit. I just used flat bar for the linkage. I see that I need an adjustable rod like you made. Wife wants a new patio built. I will need the blade to level the dirt before laying the blocks. I currently have three blades. One will be for the front end loader when I get it built. Once I get the spring loaded blade mounted, I will fabricate a lockdown to disable the springs and remove the runners for grading. The current blade will then be made into either a rear or a belly mount. Haven't decided which. Any suggestions? Rod H.

Dutch
If you want a front blade to follow the contour of the ground (float) replace your non-adjustable home made flat lift bar with a length of cable or chain. That's the fastest & easiest solution without making an adjustable lift rod. Center or rear mounted blades is a matter of personal preference and/or need. Two different set ups for two different jobs.

HubbardRA
Dutch, Let me back up a little. What I was originally looking for was a way to easily disable the detents so that I could freely control the position of the blade without having to hold the button down with my thumb. My 61 Wards has only one detent. It also has numerous holes where you may insert a pin to make a hard stop. With that setup I don't have to hold the button down. Unfortunately my son uses that one for tractor pulling, so I can't mount a blade on it. He wouldn't want his nice sharp tires messed up in gravel, and the neighbors wouldn't like the unmuffled exhaust. I think I will probably build a belly blade that will attach to the existing lift cable. Rod H.

HubbardRA
I was thinking about a plate that fit onto the detent section, with a smooth edge, the hold the latch out of the notches. Going to come up with something. Might duplicate the one from my 61 Wards. Only one detent. If I come up with a good solution I will let everyone know. Rod H.

Dutch
Rod, There's usually more than one way to "skin a cat". If your son's '61 Wards has the lever and quadrant you need, why not just take it off his puller and install it on your working tractor?

HubbardRA
Can't get the lever loose. Too many years of rusting together. Haven't looked at changing the quadrant yet. Sounds like some others would like to have an answer for the same problem. I'm going to look the situation over closely this evening when I get home, to see if I can come up with an easy fix that I can post for the others. I can always change to the old one, but that doesn't help the other guys. Since I have one of each type, I should be able to come up with a mod or adapter that will work on all. You know how us tinkerers are, Dutch. We can't keep from fixing things. No fun just to bolt it on. Got to make a special new one. Besides that, I got my grading job finished, won't need the blade till later, unless I'm working on a fix. Rod H.

BigSix
Dutch: You've done it again! Beats my hoseclamp on the lever idea by a mile. Now I'd like you to do something else. As much as I love the internal combustion engine, I want you to think about how the U.S. is too dependent upon oil...especially foreign oil. Think hard, real hard.... We'll be waiting, and don't forget us, as we knew ya "when." :)

Dutch
Peter, I don't do a whole lot of research unless I'm prepared to pursue a project. That being said, I do have thoughts on energy. 1) Oil & coal are a resource that is there to benefit mankind. Use it. 2) Domestic Oil..... Listen to and consider the environmentalists' concerns, but don't let them dictate national energy policy. 3) Foreign Oil..... Buy it or take it. OPEC profits benefit very few dictators and despots who live in splendor while their uneducated people live in abject poverty. Poverty & ignorance breeds crime (terrorism). If the sultans and princes can sell us oil AND control their people, that's fine with me. If not, we should do what we did to the American Indians. Sometimes the ends do justify the means. Political correctness be damned. 4) Long Term..... Hydrogen! It's combustible (remember the Hindenberg). It's plentiful (the oceans are 2/3 hydrogen). It's harmless (we drink it every day). How is it separated from water? I don't know, but I think it takes electricity. Where do we get electricity? Nuclear power. I believe thats as safe as getting out of bed every day. The environmentalists disagree. So what's their REALISTIC solution? I'd rather go up in a puff of smoke than live like a caveman. How about some more research on nuclear fusion rather than fission? What we need is leadership, not mealy mouth politicals sniffing out the next vote who don't want to offend ANYONE. Look at the last election, 50% - 50% Bush & Gore. Half the people are going to be unhappy no matter who's elected. A real leader would say, "I'm in for the next four years and this is the way it's going to be. I'm going to do what I think is right and I don't care about re-election". I was very disappointed listening to Cheney, Meuller, and even Rumsfeld say that it is not a question of IF we will suffer another terrorist attack, but WHEN. When I was a kid if a leader (parents, teachers, cops, politians) made a statement like that, they'd add, "That will happen over my dead body". ************** Can you tell I'm feeling better?

HubbardRA
Dutch, Checked last evening, quadrants won't interchange. Quite a bit different mounting because of the frame differences. Had a couple of ideas but they wouldn't work because of insufficient room. Going to build a lock for the rod. I like your idea, but I have another idea that will be simpler to fabricate if it works. I'll let you know. I really need to get a digital camera so I can take pictures of this stuff. Rod H.