Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sudden lack of drive

Mark Rice

First let me say I have NOT tried to diagnose the problem. I only ask here so that hopefully I can get an idea where to start.  Mowing with the tractor Sunday before a family event at my house when suddenly and with out making any bad noise my tractor went from mowing up hill to rolling down hill back wards,

Lifted the seat and this is what I see, The drive shaft is connected, the drive belt is fine, The axles turn, but the wheels do not. It makes no bad noises. 

I have not had time to pull it into my shop. Any thoughts????? 

Its a 1978 716. Yes the axle does rotate, but the wheels don't!  Maybe I can get it in the air and get the wheels off this weekend! I am curious to see what the problem is.

Sudden lack of drive

When I first saw this title I assumed we were talking about a psychological issue. I was going to suggest you see a trained professional.

What a relief to find that it is probably just a problem with the planetary drive in the axle. ; )

• Haha 2

As I said in the other post of similar problem, easy stuff first.

Make sure that the collar clamp has not loosened and allowed the axle to drift out of the Differential.

If its that no need to pull wheels.  Shove axle sideways tighten collar, done.

Look at an Illustrated parts list available on simplicity site.

Edited by GregB
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 4:50 PM, GregB said:

Make sure that the collar clamp has not loosened and allowed the axle to drift out of the Differential.

If its that no need to pull wheels.  Shove axle sideways tighten collar, done.

What he said.  Happened to me.  No noise or initial warning make me think this is a good bet.

On 9/21/2021 at 4:09 PM, spi said:

Sudden lack of drive

When I first saw this title I assumed we were talking about a psychological issue. I was going to suggest you see a trained professional.

What a relief to find that it is probably just a problem with the planetary drive in the axle. ; )

My first thought was that he took up smoking dope. I gave it up 30+ years ago for that exact reason. It's hard to get motivated when life is soo gooood.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, kwt said:

My first thought was that he took up smoking dope. I gave it up 30+ years ago for that exact reason. It's hard to get motivated when life is soo gooood.

You gotta have some adversity just to keep going.

• 2 weeks later...

The axle spins freely inside the hub. Have never pulled a hub before. I assume there is some kind of clip?  

The hub wobbles slightly and spins freely when jacked up, but will not pull off the axle?????

OK, has anyone actually changed the axle seals on a 716 or 7016?  Watching videos on you tube it looks like the hub is welded to the shaft. That's not a problem, I have a welder. But how does the axle get removed? It is not like the older B models I am familiar with!

If this is the hub that is supposed to be welded to the axle shaft, the originals were only welded on one side.

Replacements were welded on both sides.

I have replaced axle on my 716 because of the weld fracturing.

a picture is worth a bunch of words............

Find someone with a repair manual, look at the parts list on the Simplicity site to figure out how to get it apart.

The repair manual is available for download here for members who spend the $10.00 to join.

Best $10.00 I spend every year.

• Like 2

Thanks Greg! My concern was that I would weld the hub and not be able to get the axle off. I will download the manual. This forum is great!

Here's an old "How To" replace axle seals on the tractors with the removable left hub:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/10312-rear-axle-seals-how-to-pics/

With the newer tractors with the welded left hub, the differential must be removed from the right side and the axle pulled from the left.  @RayS wrote a "How To" remove an axle with a welded on left hub:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/45680-axle-removal/

• Like 1

Love this forum, you guys are great. Thanks PhanDad! 

:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/10312-rear-axle-seals-how-to-pics/

With the newer tractors with the welded left hub, the differential must be removed from the right side and the axle pulled from the left.  @RayS wrote a "How To" remove an axle with a welded on left hub:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/45680-axle-removal/

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got to work on this tractor. Used a gear puller to pull the loose hub square against the old weld. Then I practiced with my stick welder I had not touched in many years. The welds were not pretty but a little time with the grinder and and a splash of spray paint and it was up and mowing again!

Thanks for all the tips!

20211028_134759.jpg

20211028_135607.jpg

• Like 4