Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Late 700 series options

AllisChalmers716

AllisChalmers716

It appears that there are a lot of options for these including a 540 rpm were does it go how does it work? And the rear work light does it have its own switch or is it in the headlight circuit. Any pictures of any of the options would be neat to see. 

-Thanks, Tommy 

On 9/29/2021 at 10:27 AM, AllisChalmers716 said:

including a 540 rpm were does it go how does it work?

It mounts on the rear of the tractor to be able to use implements that run at 540 rpm: 

6157311ccf031_540PTO.thumb.jpg.856d623940317cad07c397b0d40bcf68.jpg

On 9/29/2021 at 10:27 AM, AllisChalmers716 said:

And the rear work light does it have its own switch or is it in the headlight circuit.

The FDT rear work light were wired into the front headlight circuit.

This AC 700 tractor wiring diagram indicates the rear work light was also wired into the front headlight switch:

image.png.44656f1c77d7ed61c467d6cfe3443f48.png  

Most (all?) of the 7100 series rear work lights used a two position switch which would turn only the front lights on or all the lights on.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 11:40 AM, AllisChalmers716 said:

Interesting! On a scale of 1-10 how hard is it to find a 540 pto?

-Thanks, Tommy 

7?  

They do come up from time to time & the last one I saw was about $300.  I don't have one & have not ever had any desire to have one as I have nothing that it can operate.  You see this is designed to run a stationary 540 implement.  Such as a grain or hay elevator or silo filler.  Not pull behind rear attachments such as a rear mounted mower.

I am using one for an emergency PTO driven alternator.  Of course I can't get the full rated power out of the alternator (limited by engine HP) but its enough for house lights, water pump, computer and keeping the cell phones charged.  A bit more portable if needed for non-residential purposes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ShaunE said:

7?  

They do come up from time to time & the last one I saw was about $300.  I don't have one & have not ever had any desire to have one as I have nothing that it can operate.  You see this is designed to run a stationary 540 implement.  Such as a grain or hay elevator or silo filler.  Not pull behind rear attachments such as a rear mounted mower.

4 hours ago, AllisChalmers716 said:

Awesome info to know!

-Thanks, Tommy 

I have had several over the years. Never paid more than $50 for them. They usually go cheap at local  auctions when they show up. I never used one , just sold them to collectors.. Like Sean said above, they were meant to run  stationary equipment like a small  elevator or small auger.  Or like Carl indicated, a generator or similar that is heavy enough or anchored to stay put while its being run.

Like other such farm machinery, they can be quite dangerous and deadly for those who do not pay attention to safety and common sense.  Not to long ago a relative of mine was killed when he got too close to  the pto shaft running off a farm tractor  to a stationary implement. Rotating shaft grabbed part of his coveralls.  Spun him around several times beating him against the concrete before the others got the machinery stopped....as I was told.

• Sad 2