Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116 new BGB seal leaking

damon91

I recently rebult the BGB on the 7116 im fixing up due to leaking seals. I was extra careful installing seals by taping up all keyways and sharp edges before installing seals and shafts. I filled BgB with type F atf because manual says to use multipurpose powertrain oil (I am assuming they are the same?). Put everything back together and the the input shaft seal is leaking. I don't know if the seal I put in was old, or if the oil is too thin? I really don't want to split the tractor apart again if I can help it. Do you guys have any sugestions? thanks

The ATF is undoubtedly why you are leaking.  You should be running 75/90 weight gear oil or similar in the BGB.  The ATF will have done a great job of cleaning up the inside, but now it's time to drain it and put in the gear oil.  Your leaking issue should go away.  The ATF is for the Sundstrand hydro pump / transaxle assembly or the Vickers Hydro Pump.

• Like 2

I agree with @Brettw, but would add that the newer ('75 & up) tractors BGB came with "Simplicity Multipurpose  Hydraulic Oil" and shown in this table of recommended fluids:

TransmissionGearboxLubrication5.jpg.b16e4986087311658f27acb8bcac56b2.jpg

The Simplicity product is NLA (unless a dealer has old stock); I've used TSC version without any issues.  

I can't add the link to the full table for some reason.  The post is titled "Transmission & Gearbox Lubrication Charts" and can be found at the bottom of this page:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/forum/18-answers-to-commonly-asked-questions/?page=3

PS - If you click on the above table, it should get larger and more readable.

Edited by PhanDad
Added PS
  • Like 2

The replacement for the simplicity multipurpose hydraulic oil is type F ATF correct? that's what the manual says to substitute in the tranny anyways. Their definitely wasn't 90 weight gear oil in the BGB when I drained it.

Anyway do you guys think I would be fine trying for the gear oil in it? Thanks for the replies.

90 weight gear oil was used in the gear boxes of the older tractors before they combined oils when the hydrostatic transmissions came out.  My old dealer recommended using 90 weight in all of the bevel gear boxes and universal tractor oil (like sold by tractor supply or tractor dealers) in the hydrostatics.  Type F can be used in the hydrostatics and is somewhat lighter weight than the UTF.  

On 10/6/2021 at 6:44 AM, damon91 said:

The replacement for the simplicity multipurpose hydraulic oil is type F ATF correct? that's what the manual says to substitute in the tranny anyways. Their definitely wasn't 90 weight gear oil in the BGB when I drained it.

Multi purpose / ATF in the hydro / transaxle, 90 weight in the bevel gear box is correct.  

Hello, If the BGB is over filled it will leak by the seals   , I read that somewhere.

I use a pump from a large 1 gallon dawn dish soap to pump out the BGB

It take a while  ,it removes about an ounce at a time.

Thanks Ken in Mi

IMG_3252.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

• Like 3