Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Brinley garden Disk

JCS

I purchased two sets of garden disks and have tried them together and seperately and they dont seem to work! If I stand on the one section and lean on the steering wheel the one section will dig a little but not like a farm tractor version. There doesnt seem to be any adjustment for the angle of the disks like a farm tractor version...so what am I dont wrong?

As far as I know, a smoth edge disk is only used to break up the clumps and level the furrows that a bottom plow turns up. If you are trying to cut into unturned soil, pile on the weight and try it just after a rain.

I hate to see someone unhappy. I'll give you $35. each..I think that a very generous offer for non-working disk harrows..Woody

Or you could get out the manual, make the adjustments for angle and direction disks face in tandem, plow your field or garden and be a happy discing guy. Stay off wet ground..Woody

JC, As others have said, unless the ground has been plowed, you won't cut it with a disk... You will need to add weight, according to everything I've heard about the Brinly disks, though I have no first-hand experience. On the farm, we had a "pick-up" disk that fit the 3-point hitch. It had scalloped disks on the front, pitched out, for cutting either harder soil or things like cornstalks. The back gangs were round, pitched in, and a large turnbuckle allowed you to fold them up at 90-degrees, putting all their weight on the front set. You made a few passes this way, and then let the rear set down to smooth out the results.... That disk was no bigger than 6' wide (may have been 5') -- yet probably weighed at least 450-500 pounds -- compare the weight of the Brinly one, with its width.... On this one, we never messed with the pitch, as I recall, once it was adjusted... On the horse-drawn one, in comparison, we were fiddling with the adjustable pitch all the time, trying to get it to cut -- with our weight riding directly over the disks at all times.... And it still wouldn't cut unplowed dirt unless the soil was damp.... My experiences, if they're of any value....

JCS, where do I send the money order?..Heck it's only 418 miles to come and get them...MadManX

The garden was plowed and I wanted to smooth it up before rototilling. The first section is angled backwards and the outer ends and the second section is also angled backwards so they can be used seperately or together. I bought them used and the paint is still on the disks so I am guessing the first owner couldnt get them to work either???? I one section has a rack for weight and I placed a cement block on and tried flopping the plow hitch part upside down to change the angle of attack of the disks but still no good. I finally stood on them and drove around but that was perty damgerous, so I ended up rototilling. I would like to get them to work!

• 4 weeks later...
I Have a set of those discs that came with my tractor. They work real well for smoothing with added weight. I Use a "rail-road iron" Its a little safer than riding on them. I Plow with a big set using a lot bigger tractor with scalloped discs. The smooth discs work well for smoothing out clumps and they worked well for me plowing between rows. Done a great job cutting/plowing weeds