Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar / Legacy trans oil level sight tube

SmilinSam

Transmission oil is leaking on my DA 1920. Determined its coming from the plastic sight tube at the barbed fitting on the back of the transmission.  Dont think its cracked above the barb...just looks like  its coming from between the barb and the hose line. Its a hard plastic line , looks just like a refrigerator ice maker water line.

Whats the best way to deal with this?

Drain the oil down to the barb, cut the line off  at the top of the barb, drop  the line down then re-clamp back to the barb...

or

Put a heat gun on it and warm it up so the line clamp can pull the plastic tighter to the barb...  (just an old style spring type  fuel line clamp).

or

Replace the whole line...and with what?

I have replaced many oil injection lines on snowmobiles throughout the years.  They are clear as well to see the flow when you bleed the oil pumps.  However, the ones I usually find have a smaller O.D. than the OEM hoses so the clamps don't usually clamp well.  In those cases, I use small zip ties to clamp them.  The older Yamaha Waverunner's use no no clamps.  All zip ties from the factory.  The hose should be available @ any power sports centers.

Clear PVC tubing is oil resistant, but hardens over time.  It used to be sold by the foot in hardware stores and home centers.  That's probably what you have.  

There is a yellowish transparent pvc grade that is more resistant, but I'm not sure how "transparent" it is. 

I'd replace the line and use a stainless steel screw type hose camp on the lower fitting.   

• Like 1

If there is enough, cut off the end.  Heat gun to soften, and the stainless clamp like Bill suggested.

IF the barb is plastic I would not go hugely tight on the clamp pressure.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When I cut the bad end off I found it to have been cracked. Thats why it was leaking. Tried to re attached the slightly shorter line back on the barb, but it was so brittle it just kept cracking and breaking.

Found some new  polyethylene? tubing at the local hardware store.. Same stuff as used in icemaker line for your fridge, only the next size up from that. Pretty sure its the same stuff that was on it before.

medium.DSCN2735.JPG.4c9d8484a4493973ee5c

Warmed the ends up with a heat gun, one at a time and pushed it on the metal barbed fittings. Same fittings as used on your carburetors.

Had to used a hose clamp on the top end because there was not enough room for pliers up there without removing the gas tank/fenders.

Used the original spring type clamp on the bottom as there is plenty of room for pliers there.

No leaks now.

• Like 5

One other important  thing to mention...

You don't have to drain the transmission down to replace the line.  Just jack the back of the tractor way up in the air and put some stands under it.. Just have to tip it up so the oil runs to the front of the tranny and drops below the level of the barbed fitting in back.

• Like 5