Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractoring music

I want to be able to listen to my portable cd player when I get the landlord back on the lawn, as some of you know, the landlord is not for the timid..I try to crank up the music and I still can barely hear it. Certainly someone in this club has figured out something???Herb what would you build/do? Does a welder have to be involved? I get so tired of humming the theme from "baretta", while mowing. (JJJJuuust Kidding). Doug

My first Miata had the speakers mounted in the head rest. With the top down cruising at 75 full stereo sound. Try mounting the speakers behind your head on stalks...Or you could rent Kelly's Heroes and get the same speakers as on the tanks...Woody

Gee, why coudlnt I just mount a Miata seet on my tractor? maybe because the seat alone would be a second mortgage on the farm. Woody, I havent done over 60 in a vehicle in 15 years. My wife said maybe I should just start humming a different song????? Doug

Full cycle helmet with speakers. Then you could put some feathers on top and race around the neighborhood scaring old ladies, young children, and small animals.

Don't know what brand they are but my brother has a set of "ear muffs" with an AM/FM radio in them. Sony maybe? Roy

Neal: How does that compare to Brad (B.'s?) Farmall Cub muffler stack, in terms of sound reduction? Can you supply a link to the Imco? Thanks, Peter

Howdy all I did the upright muffler with mine before I tore down. (Boy thats loud!!!) Have been looking for a used muffler off a Golf cart or a work cart like they use for the larger companys around. From the looks of the ones I have seen may provide for some interesting mounting opportunitys Or maybe off of a small motorcycle? ScottS

I've tried BradW's cub muffler solution. Made my tractor sound alot different, but not much quieter, if any, that I could tell. Many claim the SuperTrapp mufflers work well. Just waiting on a spare $100 to float by to give it a try. BTW, I still have the cub muffler, looks almost new, if anyone is interested. $10 plus shipping. Brent[A href='http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmain.cfm']http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmain.cfm[/a]

Doug, Buy a NASCAR headset radio. These are designed to be heard above race cars. Got two. Rod H.

I have always been impressed with honda products, like it or not, they are some of the toughest stuff ive wrecked. In particular, the Honda 3 wheelers ive got three of them, ever run one without a muffler, every bit as loud as my landlord, yet those mufflers work so well, I dont understand mufflers at all, I know its truly a physics thing, yet, why in the heck cant we quiet these tractor motors down a tad???????????I run heavy equipment, D10 cats, loaders, If i spend over 12 hours on any of that stuff, I get a seasick feeling when i get off them, its not enough to make a big stink, but i dont want that same feeling when i spend 7 hours on the landlord. And frankley id rather be listening to Hank williams Howl or Coltrane than a blasting 4 stroker. Hey, I love my tractors but..........Im now looking at earmuffs with speakers.. Dougm

The muffler at the link above is the same design as a Supertrap just adapted to small engines. This 7 $1.00 might get you a small coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I guess I'm confused. Wouldn't quieting down a noisey - vibrating one lunger ruin the "nostalgia". I like my old Briggs & Kohler just as is. They make me appreciate the CH18 V-Twin even more. Hope you guys don't start installing running boards & cup holders on those fine old machines.

Dutch, I pull a trail mower while I mow with the tractor. Both engines running full throttle for 2 or 3 hours hurts the ears. After mowing w/o hearing protection a couple of times I bought some earmuffs. What a difference. I now wear them any time I use a tractor, but it sure would be nice to quiet the tractors down. Wearing the earmuffs makes it less noticeable when something is wrong with the machine and you don't hear it until it is too late. The quietness of my Dad's JD 210 is something I am envious of about the green. Brent

I wish someone would come up with an affordable quieter exhaust for the old one-lungers... the Supertraps are more expensive since they are spark arrestors that must meet Federal specs also.... They used to make (may still be available) aftermarket "quiet-pack turbo-mufflers" for VW headers that I'd like to see made on a smaller-design for these engines. There was no fiberglass or packing material inside the muffler to wear out or burn up. The exhaust entered via one tube that was perforated with lots of little holes (about 1/8")inside the muffler... the exhaust came out of the muffler in another tube that had matching small holes inside the muffler. Inside the muffler, the exhaust had to flow through the little holes from one tube to another. Very simple, relatively inexpensive, and much quieter... The problem with most of these small mufflers is that the exhaust flows straight out and the "sound deadening" is all on the side of the exhaust flow... I don't know what an original Nelson muffler looks like inside, but in the canister mufflers, the exhaust flows straight through... as do all the stack mufflers that I've seen....

Hi Doug, I think an Imco cm-43 is in order. We use this muffler on some off road utility vehicles. It is the top of the line muffler. The only problem, you have to figure out the mounting. Hope this helps, take care.

Northern Tools had a set of sound deadening earmuffs with speakers for about $40. When I was in the Navy, I would use the "ear bud" headphones under a pair of Navy issue Mickey Mouse earmuffs. After working several years in a high noise industrial enviroment, I have come to appreciate the value of hearing protection. One of the reasons that the newer tractors are so quiet is that the government limits the sound levels at the operators position. I have found that most ear plugs filter out the noise and allow me to hear the subtle squeeks and squeels that would otherwise be drowned out by the exhaust sound. Hearing loss is gradual and PERMANANT. If you want to be able to hear your grandkids say their first words, start using ear plugs or muffs today!

Fireman Ron, Hey thats a great idea. I wear earplugs religiously. I cant imagine not being able to hear myslef talk, what a tragedy that would be. Thanks again folks dougm

I always needed to speak to my grandfather's "good" ear, the side opposite the muffler side of his Snapper riding mowers. He was a landscaper/gardener for a living. I wear the higher grade ear muffs from the hardware store, and occasionally have used ear plugs underneath. I have read that the danger in listening to music with loud equipment is that you turn up the volume high enough to be heard over the equipment and increase the decibels significantly in doing so. So make sure you have really good earmuff protection before playing the tunes. I usually just hum and sing to myself. It makes that funny noise from the mower whenever you open your mouth!

try a Rockford Fosgate power 1000 amplifier you should be able to hear it then over a jumbo jet.