Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblowers - FDT vs RBT

Aussieskier

Will a FDT snowblower and hitch fit on a 700/7000 series tractor with the manual clutch lever removed? I'd probably use an electric front PTO clutch.

I've been reading through a number of posts here on the differences in the hitches and blowers, and it looks like it will fit a 900/7100, but I recall those frames were slightly longer upfront. Hadn't seen anyone mention using it on a 700/7000.

I can't help with the hitches but do know that the driven pulley on the snowblower is a different size on an FDT blower compared to an RBT blower and this will effect the size of pulley required on the engine. I believe the hitch will physically attach but do not know the other differences. 

On 11/13/2021 at 9:43 AM, Aussieskier said:

Will a FDT snowblower and hitch fit on a 700/7000 series tractor with the manual clutch lever removed? I'd probably use an electric front PTO clutch.

I've been reading through a number of posts here on the differences in the hitches and blowers, and it looks like it will fit a 900/7100, but I recall those frames were slightly longer upfront. Hadn't seen anyone mention using it on a 700/7000.

I once put one of those old Simplicity FDT weed mower attachments on a 7100 series tractor. Hitch for those is the same as the FDT snowblowers.  I removed the active engagement part of the hitch and just implemented a static tension spring on the hitch assembly  so I could use it with an electric clutch installed on the front of the engine. I cant remember now, but" I think " I had to cut a piece  off the engagement upright on the hitch, and saved to to weld back on later to restore the hitch assembly to OEM.

You could do the same thing for using a FDT snowblower. You would just have to make sure your electric clutch has the same  diameter pulley on it as the oem drive pulley for the FDT blower...and that the electric clutch sticks out in front of the axle in about the same alignment with the lower pulley set as it would on the oem FDT tractor setup.

On 11/13/2021 at 10:43 AM, Aussieskier said:

I probably wrote at least one of the old posts you read.  I installed a FDT 2 pulley "clutch" type hitch on my "16GTH-L" with front electric PTO.  It was used it with a FDT blower:  

Snow_0037.jpg.91e174f6f898f6568745cd55d5479348.jpg

Old_Hitch_Mounted_0004.jpg.0aca24e589ed26bee347a0993591a0ae.jpg

The hitch had the clutch engagement arm cut off so it would fit inside the hood:

Old_Hitch_0011a.jpg.7a07c6356f32c207cb289dd2e4bdf41d.jpg

I mounted the blower and manually engaged the clutch (I didn't install a spring as @SmilinSam did; the FDT spring acts in compression and has an "over center" feature while the RBT 2 pulley spring acts in pure tension).

I just measured the distance from the front of the axle to the back of the front frame on my 7016H and 75th Anniversary Sovereign.  They both measure about 3-1/2" so I believe the setup will also work on a 7000 series tractor.  

There are differences in the 2 pulley FDT and RBT hitches (longer mounting "ears" and slightly different pulley alignment):  

Old_New_Compare_0015.jpg.452b9da7836e403efc414f4357bf51a0.jpg

Old_New_Compare_0014.jpg.f2e2e9b03adf365f86a5c34fb46a275b.jpg

A pic of the same FDT blower with the RBT 2 pulley hitch:

New_Hitch_Mounted_0002.jpg.a06a543bb4acac6ac0a89f31099a8d40.jpg

PS - The FDT blower tunnel is a little less tall than the RBT blower and the stock 7" RBT driven pulley can't be installed; if I remember correctly, a 6-12" pulley is the largest that will fit.  

Edited by PhanDad
Added PS
  • Like 1

That is what is so cool about this site: Enough redneck engineers (said with respect and pride) who have tried and documented adaptations so that when another RE contemplates the same, it's already done for him!
"Simple TrACtors: Pushing the envelope, then sealing it down!"

• Like 2