Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Has anyone added another set of hydraulic lines to a newer sovereign?

gravey72

I have a 90's sovereign and a hydraulic plow I would like to fabricate for the front. I have some of the different parts needed but was wondering what the proper plumbing method was? I'm assuming it can be done since some came with power steering. I've done a few hydraulic projects and I know they can be tricky. I'm assuming someone here has already added remote hydraulics or something similar. I tried searching and didn't see anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You would have to replace the single spool valve with a 2 spool valve like used on older 1980's style John Deere 300 series tractors..& hope there is room for the slightly larger valve. Theres really nothing to worry about as far as the hydraulic plumbing goes for this kind of operation. in regards toi the power steering  etc, as you would be just swapping an already existing hydraulic valve.

Then you would have to fabricate a access opening to install a second control lever, & fabricate/alter and original control lever setup to operate the second spool without interfering with the original lever setup. That or swap a Deere 2 control lever setup into the tractor, which would require some considerable cutting into the side of the tractor frame..and modifying the levers to reach the operator.

Then try and find a way to route lines up to the front of the tractor from the second spool on the valve so that they dont interfere with anything else on the tractor or with tractor attachments in use on the tractor.

Then you will need a pair of quick disconnects to mount up front to use with the cylinder for your blade angle adjustment.

Used parts are way more available for/from older 300 series Deeres than they are from Simplicity Sunstars that had this same sort of  setup available for their blades like you are looking to do.

11 minutes ago, 720nut said:

Sam is this the valve you are reffering to ? This is one I got off of Stephen for my mower, I have it plumbed into the 9020

No, what you have there is an entirely different critter.

The one I am talking about is pretty much the same as the oem single spool valve that is already in the 7100 series and Soveriegns, except it is just a little taller because it has the second spool in it.

Essentially the 2 (and 3) spool valves of the same manufacturer jus t end up hanging down further than the single spool valves in relation to the attaching bolt holes.  Those one and 2 spool valves bolt in identically and the supply and return lines hook up exactly the same. The 1, 2, and 3 spool valves used in those older Deeres are by the same manufacturer as the single spool valves used on the Sovereigns etc.

• Like 1

went looking at one time I had a two  bank valve like on a Powermax but seems to have gotten lost, or just under one of several piles I have going . I do have three of the small singles though

Thanks for all replies. So what you're saying Sam, a  sunstar dual hydraulic lever setup would work, just need to plumb it in?

1 hour ago, gravey72 said:

Thanks for all replies. So what you're saying Sam, a  sunstar dual hydraulic lever setup would work, just need to plumb it in?

A sunstar with dual lever setup would have the right 2 spool valve. Just sayin that there are alot less of those out there than the Deere 2 lever setups. You would still have to home engineer the  dual lever setup onto the ssoveriegn though.  The sovereign lever setup is vastly different than the sunstar or deere setups

• Like 1

Well, thinking about this early this morning, there is some trouble with this. The Soveriegns have the valve positioned with the piston pointing up towards the frame plate under the battery.  To put a second lever in you would have to have it above and behind the existing lever, then lengthen/change the shape of the arm that goes to the second piston, as well as changing the existing arms connection characteristics.... maybe more. Pretty sure theres no room under the frame plate for that. 

So you would have to drop the position of the valve, which is going to create all kinds of problems to overcome with control lever connections and existing plumbing connections. 

Not saying it cant be done, but it is going to be a real engineering project to require alot of thought and trial  & error work.

This is probably a naive question/idea - but here goes.

Could you plumb the second valve into the hydraulic lift system the same way the spool PS is plumbed.  I’m pretty sure the PS uses the high pressure fluid from the charge pump. 

Of course you’d have to mount another valve somewhere and the hydraulic lines wouldn’t look “factory”, but could it work?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of along the lines of what I was thinking could be done. Maybe I'm over simplifying but it's just another hydraulic cylinder. I know it wouldnt look factory but I'm about practicality