Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How I Spent yesterday Afternoon

GregB

Just over halfway point for this pile.  I have a ~30 foot long elm to get after next.

IMG_3261[1].JPG

The business end:

IMG_1639.JPG

Edited by GregB
  • Like 9

Ahhh, the good old days.  Back in the late 70's till the late 80's we lived in upper michigan, and work was hard to find.  We heated and cooked with wood exclusively.  Had a jotul wood stove for heat, and a nice old cook stove in the basement for cooking.  We would cut wood on state owned land, where they would mark the undesirable trees to be removed.  We would cut and split about 6 full cord for our use, and my father in law and uncle in law, who lived on either side of us, would go thru about 20 full cord between the two.  I built a wood splitter that ran off of the father in laws Allis B.  It had a buzz saw fig on the back of it.  When we were done with the saw, we would remove the belt for the saw, and then take off the nut that held the belt pulley on and replace it with a stub shaft/nut that i made with a sprocket on the outer end.  Then a chain down to the mounted pump, hook up hoses, and split all day long.  Always liked working with wood, i miss it,,,, but not enough to drive to Pa. to help you out, Greg!

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Brett,

As far as the actual tonnage not sure.  Father in-law built it using what he could find cheap.  Has a single stage vane style pump to drive it from the right angle PTO Drive.  I put bearings and seals in it some years ago.

I can usually split to center of a ~24" diameter round.  I cut short, ~15" so it stacks better on the plastic skids.  It also goes straight into the airtight fireplace insert, not across.

Steve,

I do have a buck saw for the back, used to use that for slab wood from a local mill when it was cheap.

As far as help, by myself once you get in the groove it is kind of therapeutic.

When it was still my Father in-law's we used to split together.  Always in a hurry, not as much "fun".

Edited by GregB
  • Like 6

Came home to 6" of very wet snow covering my pile, my fatherinlaw at 85 still insists that he helps split wood 

Monday nite another 4-5" of snow , very heavy wet again, It can stop any time , think my free sample should be expiring soon , hopefully

Edited by 720nut
  • Like 1

Lloyd,

I get that .  At 85 my father in-law was the same. 

But at 90+ , and a 25% efficient heart, he can barely walk down the grade to were the piles are sitting.

Let alone split.

Still lives by himself, and takes care of his acre place though.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dhoadley said:

Dad's 92 and will stand there and work the lever until either I run out of wood, or I run out of gas. d:)

Just about what mine does, gotta watch cause he's getting reckless on the lever , although he still grabs the pieces and throws them , then later complains his arm hurts . 

We had a scare last nite as  a friend called said he wasn't eating and he was shaking , wife and I made a flying trip to Pinckney and found his sugar was real low, she forced him to eat a couple of candy bars and some food, He told her to go the Hxxx home  ?  Called later and said he felt better ??  We know the days coming but why rush it

On 11/29/2021 at 12:25 PM, GregB said:

Lloyd,

I get that .  At 85 my father in-law was the same. 

But at 90+ , and a 25% efficient heart, he can barely walk down the grade to were the piles are sitting.

Let alone split.

Still lives by himself, and takes care of his acre place though.

Her dad still lives by himself too, still drives but getting reckless and she said she was going to have to take his license and he saya ya think that's gunna stop me ? 

Joyce took him to the hospital last nite and they admitted him , low heart rate and breathing , haven't heard anything as of this morning , they wouldn't let her stay.  She's sleeping , exhausted so I'll let her sleep and pray he pulls thru this.

Edited by 720nut
  • Sad 1