Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

"Sovereign" Snow Blower Speed Increase - Sprocket Change

PhanDad

I don't think I posted this recent finding, if I did, I can't find it.  

Some newer 42" single stage snowblowers such as MFG#1696423 (for a Regent I believe) come with a 24 tooth auger driven sprocket. 

To the best of my knowledge, all the "Sovereign" RBT 36" & 42" snowblowers came with a 29 tooth driven sprocket.  

The driver sprocket/shaft is the same - it has 12 teeth.  

There's been several posts over the years about changing out the auger driven sprocket rather than driven pulley (belt) but getting the "correct" sprocket is more difficult than a belt pulley.  I don't remember anyone listing exactly which sprocket to buy or where to source it.  An advantage is the stock belt can be used. 

So now your friendly Simplicity dealer can provide parts for a 21% auger speed increase by swapping out the driven sprocket and chain.  But I'm sure they're not going to be cheap!  

Part #s

24 tooth auger sprocket:     1756390AYP

Chain:                                      1756398YP  (Maybe the original chain can be shortened)

• Like 2

I got a sprocket from McMaster-Carr.  A farm supply store is a good source for bulk #40 roller chain, miscellaneous links, and some sprockets.  McMaster-Carr had a better selection and I could get a sprocket that gave me a 10% increase in augur speed.

• Like 3

I suppose the auger speed can be helpful, but also eats up more horsepower.  I find the current setup, seem to me at least,  works great and throws the snow more than far enough to never have been an issue.  We have not had the same snowfalls as we used to, so in areas where there is a lot of snow all winter, throwing it farther might be a big plus.  The 18 horse works the hardest it ever does when blowing snow, but seems well paired to the 42" and efficient function, IMHO.

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 3