Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ac 310 running rough

Ryan310

Hello this is my first post on here. I just bought an allis chalmers 310. The guy said he had I running and was using it this past summer before he parked it. When I went to look at it the only way I could get it started was with a rag soaked in gas held over the carburetor. I got it home and drained all the old gas pulled all the fuel lines off, blew them out. I replaced the fuel filter. Also I took the bowl off of the carburetor and cleaned it up. With some fresh gas it fired up and ran great. Now this is where I'm stumped. After it warms up it no longer wants to idle and when I try to throttle it up it tries to dye and backfires. I've tried adjusting the carb to factory settings and can to get it to run fine for a little while. After a bit it will start running rough again. I was able to get it to stay running by turning the main needle on top of the carb in to 3/4 of a turn out and it ran fine that way for a little. Do I need to rebuild this carb? Find a new one? Or is there anything else I should try?

If you don't know the history of the engine removing the carb, disassembling it and a thorough cleaning would be a good starting point.  Ethanol laced gasoline is not a friend of these engines. While it is off and apart you can check the needle vales etc and determine if a rebuild is in order.

If it starts and runs fine for a period of time and starts run rough after it is warmed up ignition might be the problem, condenser and points, or coil?

• Like 2

It is condenser and points. I pulled the bowl off the carb when I first got it home and the float was stuck in the up position which might explain why I couldn't get it to run at the guys house. So maybe it is still sticking in the down position causing the engine to flood?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys just posting an update. I pulled the carb apart and gave it a good cleaning, replaced all the gas line and put a new ngk plug in it. It fired right up, ran for 4 hours plowing my driveway without missing a beat. Id say I'm good to go now. Thank for the replies

• Like 2