Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

michigandiesel

New member Question re Simplicity 4040

michigandiesel

Good Evening. I am a new member of this forum. My previous experience is in owning a series of Case and Ingersoll 16" larger garden tractors. The plus there was the hydraulic transmission and enough traction with plenty of wheel weights to push snow here in Michigan. I then enjoyed a pair of Power King tractors, again with 16 inch rear wheels and all gear drive.  I would like to get back to a machine that is solid and had forward and reverse with out a clutch and shift lever. It would make pushing snow easier. I have an oppertunity to buy a 1972 model Simplicity 4040 Power Max. It has a Wheel Horse snow blade that seems to have been jurry rigged quite well and a 60 inch mower deck that has been used nearly not at all. The hours are just under 900, not bad over 48 years. I noticed that the small airfilter on top of the twin Onan was not tightly mouted to the carb. That worried me, but the tractor was only used for snow, when the air is not too dusty. It needs a hose clamp to make it tight. It is also quite small, it needs to fit under that long hood. So, what is your opinion? Is there a better way to connect and fit an air filter? How do you like that hybrid transmission, a hydrostatic and manual system? The owner said that the tires are filled with a clorine solution. He said it pushed deep snow without chains. I do not see the wheels rotted out, but that may be next. I am inpressed with the condition and a good maintenance history. Are there any things to look out for? Thanks. Paul 

720nut

as for the air filter they had an original that fit under the hood on the Onan"s.  4040 is slightly different from the 4041 and 9020, Allis 620/720's