Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MDD

Simplicity 5216 Hydrostatic Problem

dlcentral
Sounds like internal pump housing is cracked [common problem with that model]if oil and filter change,slipping belt or control adjustment dont fix it?,, when cold its ok when hot too much fluid leaks out the crack[bypasses]One way to check this is to see if it is very noisy when it dont move..also excessive foaming of oil is a bad sign too,,if thats true then thats you're problem.NOT a cheap fix,,a new housing is 250 bucks,, imo of course,,

MDD
My Dad has a 5216 that seems to have a hydrostatic transmission problem. When the unit is cold, everything works just fine. After about 1 to 1 1/2 hours of use, the transmission does not respond at all. If you shut it off and let it cool down for a few hours -- it is fine again. Dad said that he has never changed the trans fluid (bad, bad dad!) -- do you think that could be the issue? Also, when we do change it, it there a trans fluid filter (where)? Thank You