Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is a washer just a washer? Need to replace washer in transmission group

Steesy

Hello,

I tore apart my my transmission group and am replacing a few items. One of which is these washers that have worn down on the snap rings on the shaft. The part number is 1960184SM and they want $20... a piece... The washer is 1" OD and 57/64 ID. Can I just go to the hardware store and drill out a washer that is the same thickness?  Is there anything special about these washers do you think? Obviously not hardened because the snap ring has no wear while these are ground down.

61abb261cb9f0_washerwear.thumb.jpg.0c095f4d4cf5152a4d828d79d0f68add.jpg61abb2659c58a_washerwear1.thumb.jpg.eca3e340026db746b8057220f2d7ceda.jpgwasherwear2.thumb.jpg.f68726b39269716934f54c14affe3223.jpg

These washers are callout #15 in the diagram:

diagram.thumb.jpg.e1d743f0ca6beec516af9d7fc3685c01.jpg

Check out my stupid moment of pulling off the trans drive pulley without loosening the bolt... The big red culprit is visible in one of the photos. Learning through pain is my specialty.

pulley.thumb.jpg.044d259796449d08ac27fc43640f6171.jpgculprit.thumb.jpg.0e6f1dc92b380a12362f12595c1fe053.jpg

Bill, that is a really good suggestion. I think I will definitely do that if I can't find a new part. One of the washers is worn almost all the way through so I was hoping to find a replacement.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club.

Interesting issue you have - Based on the IPL, it looks like you're working on a Sundstrand hydro tranny.  I wonder if someone's been inside the tranny before.  I say this based on this pic: 

washerwear2.thumb.jpg.f68726b39269716934f54c14affe3223.jpg

Although the snap ring and thrust washer are assembled as shown in the IPL, the repair manual shows the ordered reversed:

image.thumb.png.4dc62b8b9b9f23e0da52ca2b77de44be.png

And here's a pic of the setup from a tranny I disassembled to recover its axle tube - it shows the repair manual order:

IMG_8498.thumb.JPG.bd2964bfcfb0b6ca1b316b1f659c38ae.JPG

There doesn't seem to be wear on the washer.  

Definitely a mystery.  

• Like 2

Phandad,

I wonder if maybe some diagrams are printed wrong? Maybe someone has been in this tranny before me and re-assembled it based on the wrong diagram like I have. Or maybe they were following the same wrong diagram from the factory! That may be why I have excessive wear on the washer? I should have mentioned this is coming off a Simp 7116 but it should not matter, right? I believe they used this hydro and transmission in a ton of different models?

Logically thinking about it, I would rather have the washer against the casting/bearing rather than the snap ring against the bearing. The snap ring fits inside the casting and rubs against the bearing. I wonder if I should replace the washer and bearing and re-assemble it like your diagram. Looking at the bearing, there is some fine metal shavings have collected in the bottom between the casting and the bearing most likely from the snap ring rubbing on it.

bearing.thumb.jpg.08bb5c3b16d6eba45b84bc192e225197.jpgbearing2.thumb.jpg.e2414e545f416eb3b1c3673c5c823e1f.jpg

Edited by Steesy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steesy said:

I would rather have the washer against the casting/bearing rather than the snap ring against the bearing.

I agree.

• Like 1

Ok, I am going to flip around the washer that is in better shape like Bill suggested and order a new to replace the bad one. I ordered it from sepw thanks Bird for the link. I'll assemble it like PhanDad's diagram. Thanks for everyone taking their time to post I appreciate it.

Edited by Steesy
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 12:30 PM, Steesy said:

Check out my stupid moment of pulling off the trans drive pulley without loosening the bolt... The big red culprit is visible in one of the photos. Learning through pain is my specialty.

pulley.thumb.jpg.044d259796449d08ac27fc43640f6171.jpgculprit.thumb.jpg.0e6f1dc92b380a12362f12595c1fe053.jpg

Don't feel bad; we've all been there! 
I was pounding like***on a 8-bolt truck wheel one time, cussing and steaming.
Then discovered the lug nut I missed . . . . 

• Haha 2

On 12/4/2021 at 12:30 PM, Steesy said:

That is still as usable as about 8-10 of the center pulleys on my center arbor. There is no good way to press them off. Better quality than made in China OEM bearings has reduced my pulley purchases immensely!

You could likely paint that after straightening a bit...then hang it on your wall as a reminder? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Haha yes a I should have a shelf of shame! After placing an order with SEPW for the washer and waiting for a long time I called in to see what was going on. Turns out Briggs is out of stock for the washer. I waited a few more weeks and finally called briggs. I talked to an extremely helpful and nice lady that said that they have no idea when the factory would produce these again. I asked if there were any notes about the washer if it was hardened or anything special. She put me on a brief hold and actually called someone in the Tech Dept. The person there said that it is just a simple washer and the only important characteristic is its thickness. This makes sense as the snap ring wore into the softer steel of the washer. I will do some research and see if I can find an alternate source for a washer like this. Just posting in case someone else comes across this problem in their rebuild.

• Like 2