Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spray Paint

davidmoll

Hi all, never realized how expensive simplicity orange spray paint is. ($23/can).  Anywhere else to get it cheaper or another brand that matches the simplicity color.  Had to use a different color orange to spray paint the auger section and chute on my snow thrower with the impending snow last weekend.  I had sanded and rust reformed the whole snow thrower and I didn't want to use it without protecting it.  Refused to paint the body as I hated the orange color I got.  Any suggestions?

Thanks Moleman

A lot of dealers won't stock the paint because it has to be purchased by the case and the hazmat shipping is costly. Chevrolet orange engine enamel DE1607 for 1970s and earlier products. DE1620 for later products will be close enough for rough touch ups but won't exactly match.  

No good news here either..

Was using Duplicolor 1607 chevy  engine red-orange for the older Simplicity tractors... I found the painting characteristics are terrible..and then it disappeared locally for a while..

So..switched to Rustoleum Chevy engine red-orange....      Then that disappeared...apparently discontinued.  Got one six pack of cans left here to paint a 707 if I ever find one...

Duplicolor 1607 is available thru Advance Auto Parts for a little over $9

Sam, what are the painting characteristics that are terrible? Is it something that can be managed or avoided, because it seems to be an economical and readily available product.

I just picked up a Landlord 2010 and this would be a direction I would try.

Hello, I have been using  Rustoleum  Farm Equipment   Allis Chalmers Orange, the color is close .

I use ace hardware  gray primer  then 2 coats of the allis orange .

here is photo of  sovereign I recently painted 

Thanks Ken in Mi

IMG_4050.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks guys.  Appreciate the responses!!  I will send a pic of the horrible rustoleum orange I used for the inside of the auger which took 1 1/2 cans to to paint one coat.  Guess it will be my primer coat.

Moleman

3 hours ago, TheFlash300 said:

Duplicolor 1607 is available thru Advance Auto Parts for a little over $9

Sam, what are the painting characteristics that are terrible?

For me it was just not easy to paint, unforgiving to operator mistakes. It was real prone to runs and it  did not seem to  have a real good gloss shine to it when dry. 

I coated with clear gloss Rustoleum crystal clear. Tried it 2 ways...1st right after the last coat, and second after parts dried several days.  Didnt make any difference, same thing happened each way. While the Rustoleum crystal Clear did not react with the duplicolor(peeling/wrinkling),  some of the parts dried with a whitish cast and had to be stripped, re-painted and re-glossed. One part twice. Dont know what was happening, but it wasnt fun. Made for alot more work.

Dont get me wrong, if you can suffer through it, it does make a pretty tractor in the end. I myself, have had enough of it and wont use it anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2021 at 12:05 PM, SmilinSam said:

For me it was just not easy to paint, unforgiving to operator mistakes. It was real prone to runs and it  did not seem to  have a real good gloss shine to it when dry. 

I had your problem with the paint  few years ago, then decided to simply allow patina to remain. At my last BGB build, I had a heck of a lot more time to play with it. Not sure if it was because I got it after the paint disappeared for a couple of years, then made a comeback. Duplicolor apparently went out of business during that time, or at least became difficult to get at my local stores. Now, my favorite mom and pop store has it again, in different packaging. During the BGB repaint, I tried using what I had left from before, that turned into primer for the more recently available paint. Worked as it should this time.

• Like 2