Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Blades Selection?

bruker1

I recently picked up a, new to me, 2018 Prestige with the 52" deck. The blades look as though they were used to mow a gravel lane and are nicked up pretty well to the point of probably needing to be replaced. I've been on the Oregon Products site and there are quite a few options available for 18" blades. Does the type of blade really make that much difference in the quality of cut? If so, what would you recommend?

Usually I have the best luck with high-lift blades. They discontinued them for my 50” stamped deck so standard blades or gators are my only option and I prefer the standard ones. The vacuum may be a bit greater with a 52” fabricated deck. 

I really like the cut with Gators for my old 5216H but my 2015 Prestige runs the factory blades on the 52" fab deck. Am thinking of switching to Gators for it tho. They seem to leave less clippings than conventional blades.

High lifts but then I cut commercially, gators for wet damp as they have less lift thus not sticking to the decks like the high lifts , Just my $.02

I have 3 acres of grass and the past 2 seasons I was using my 4212 with the standard 36" deck and bagger. I realized quick that the high lift blades and bagger wouldn't cut it on this property. I switched to Gator G3 blades and closed off the deck and mulch everything. If it's thick I pull a lawn sweeper.

I just picked up a Sovereign 18H with a 48" deck to be my new mower and I plan to run Gator blades on that as well.

I love the chopping action of the Gators, but they lack the suction of the hi-lifts. I have toyed with the idea of double-blading; putting hi-lift blades above the Gators and at 90°. But I would have to find bushings to put in the holes to make sure they are centered.

On 12/29/2021 at 5:50 AM, 720nut said:

High lifts but then I cut commercially, gators for wet damp as they have less lift thus not sticking to the decks like the high lifts , Just my $.02

Interesting. I thought I got a cleaner deck with the hi-lifts; more air moving.

But it has also been a while since I've used anything other than Gators, so maybe my forgetter is working!

Edited by Hick
  • Like 1