Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Easier Mowing

Dutch

What a coincidence, as I mounted my deck for the first time yesterday (still debugging things like a PTO that kept jumping out of gear) and I was baffled that this 1960 Simplicity deck only had an adjustment on one side (the right). Furthermore, there never was a tab attached to the deck, on the left, to accept an additional adjuster. Finally, it's NOT a T-handle on mine; rather, it's just a hex head bolt in a sleeve. I'm assuming whoever the tractor owned before me lost the T handle.... Didn't they all have T-handles? Would anyone have an original, used T-handle/sleeve adjuster assy. to sell? Thanks, Peter

I have one like this off of a 3008 http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/KSever/thandle.jpg

Dutch, That's the same type of adjusting mechanism as was used on the AC 300 (and 400 too?) Series mower decks.

Yep, that's the exact same reason why I always remove the mower deck belt guards too. IMHO they don't do anything but trap leaves and grass (and moisture!). FWIW-The deck on my 700 has the "T-handle". The deck on my Power King has a riduculous "pull out the pin and slide it up to the next hole and put the pin back in, then repeat this procedure three more times" system. My Dads late-model Landlord has a crank AND a pointer that indicates how high up off the ground the blades are.

I found what was left of a Allis built Homelite in the junkyard. Check out the deck. That's why I don't use deck belt covers. Anyway, when I got my first Simplicity I replaced the adjustment "T" handles with casement window cranks to make adjustment easier. I wanted to have one crank adjust both sides and a member suggested sprockets and chains. I never got around to tackling that modification because I got another tractor to rough cut the weeds and high grass. Look at this old Homelite deck. A single lever with quadrant notches that adjusts both sides with a few positive clicks. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/homelite-deck.jpg

Dutch, The 42 inch mower from my 61 Wards also has a single adjustment, but it is a screw type. Rod H.

I don't know when they started using that system, but my 94 regent has the single lever with notches just like the picture.

I have an AC Homesteader 8, many years ago the deck rusted through near the center spindle and caused the belt to come off all the time. After the tractor is restored and a new deck gotton the covers will be left off. Just like the decks on my 7117H, B-210, B-112, and 7010. I feel that the simplicitys are safer however I feel they are all safe as long as you pay attention to what you are doing. As a side note the I think the deck hanger does a fine job of shielding the belt. John Ps this may not agree with the general opinion out there, but I'm still here with all ten toes and my decks are around as well.