Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spent some money today . . .

Hick

Our trust / estate sale, I could not bid so had a friend bid for me.  The 140 was a neighbor's that we put on the sale.  

1973 JD 140 Hydro with triple hydraulics, individual rear brakes, and a tiller with extensions:  $1200.
I'll put the dual ag tires & front ag tires from the 210 on this, and put these tires on the 210 and sell it.

61ce3286198fd_JD140a.jpg.a07c4b8e712c059933acaa64c692242f.jpg

61ce3288ce613_JD140b.jpg.8837220ca87348a0304defb25809d785.jpg

1966 JD 4020 Diesel Syncro-Range:  $7800 

61ce328adf2dd_JD4020.jpg.757bc156e3fa629599284f077484879c.jpg

61ce3442230a7_JD4020b.jpg.bdda1bf65ef60aeddce804f2d388fa7c.jpg

Edited by Hick
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, ShaunE said:

4020 is a well proven tractor.  Always one of my Deere favorites.  But again, so is the G.

And I really needed one for my two-acres!!!  B| Along with my A and MC crawler! O.o

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was also SEVERELY tempted on the 2510; I ran it when I was on the farm as a teen and later as an adult (notice I did NOT say "after I grew up"; my wife is still waiting for that!  O.o).
More so because it is a rare one: Diesel + Powershift, of which only 817 were made. The family ties + rarity really pulled at me!

61ce8bedebbf3_JD2510.jpg.5418557e787ac8c9de4f3fb9d4c7d448.jpg

It went for $8000, with which we were comfortable. So I bid on the 4020, which was running way lower than most go for.

• Like 5

Nice buys! Good looking units. What is really the use of independent dual brakes on a GT?  Never had one with that yet myself. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chris727 said:

Nice buys! Good looking units. What is really the use of independent dual brakes on a GT?  Never had one with that yet myself. 

Same as on a field tractor; you can turn sharper by stepping on the brake in the direction you turn. 
My Deutz-Allis 1920 (Sunstar) has them. But one side does not work as good as it should.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can also have some fun with individual rear brakes. As you apply brake on one side, the speed you bleed off goes to the other through the differential. Thus the assist in turning. You can pivot on one tire, but SLOW THE ENGINE DOWN!!
I was driving a two-banger JD on a gravel road that had packed ice along the sides, main tracks were clear. I maneuvered the right wheel onto the ice and gently applied that brake until the wheel was stopped, but sliding on the ice. This sped the other wheel up to twice normal speed, thus doubling the ground speed of the tractor! I didn't do it very far; I could see the consequences of sudden traction on the stopped wheel!
Funny thing is, it was my Dad who told me about it! :D

Edited by Hick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/30/2021 at 7:40 PM, PGL said:

You'll just have to increase your acreage now so you can properly use them all or hire yourself out..?  Nice machines.

I've been wanting to buy the 80 acres next to me, but he's  not interested in selling; said it's inheritance for his kids. But neither of the kids farm. So maybe when they die it will come up for sale. Also watching for land to invest in; probably safer than banks!

15 hours ago, Hick said:

I've been wanting to buy the 80 acres next to me, but he's  not interested in selling; said it's inheritance for his kids. But neither of the kids farm. So maybe when they die it will come up for sale. Also watching for land to invest in; probably safer than banks!

Farmland should be one of the safest ways to protect against the  possible inflation resulting from the massive money printing going on.  Since the kids don't farm they may appreciate someone to do so though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Whats with the extra tall pre-cleaner on the 4020? 

Not entirely sure; it (and the double mufflers) were on it when Dad & Jerry bought it. Our guess is the extra muffler would be quieter (but I think both are burned out!) plus get the sound and exhaust higher. The long air intake would put it more up out of the dust. 
Both will come off.

Edited by Hick
  • Like 1