Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

32" Tiller questions

TheFlash300

I was given an old 32" simplicity tiller attachment that I believe is 990455, no simplicity tags remain, from my neighbor, along with a 46" sickle bar.

I have acquired a Landlord 2010 and a Sovereign 18H in the past 6 weeks and have been going through the tractors to make sure everything is in good shape. While doing this I discovered that the Tiller drive, aka mule drive for the 32" tiller is missing.

Does anyone have dimensions on the parts needed or a lead on one for sale?

Also what are the pros and cons between my 2 tractors for running this tiller? I know that it was originally for the landlord.

Screenshot_20211230-222657.png

The 32" tiller is not well suited to the 1971 and newer tractors. It will not run at the correct speed due to the Sovereign having a pulley roughly 5" in diameter on the cone clutch as opposed to a roughly 3" pulley that originally was used on the earlier tractors to drive this tiller. Does your 2010 have the tiller drive pulley and belt guards on the LH side of the bevel gear box or is everything missing?  DSCN8256.thumb.JPG.70257767bfe95487987e4d2a5ad65d32.JPG

This was the last one of these I had assembled, I don't have pics of the rest of the drive attachment. I really prefer the ease of installation and transport of the later 36" tillers. 

• Like 1

@Chris727The 2010 has the mid-pto, but does not have the tiller drive pulley. From your picture that large pulley on the rear with the idler engagement are all missing. It seems that this is a common item to get separated from the tiller.

I guess a better question is whether it is worthwhile to get the 32" tiller working with the 2010 or should I be looking for a later 36" tiller to run on the 18H?

Dave

There are pros and cons to each tiller. If you don't have a slow speed pulley for the traction drive on the 2010 you would need that in order to get slow enough ground speed for good tilling. Either that or a Hi-Lo unit (hard to find and somewhat problematic). The hydrostat of the Sovereign will drive slow enough to till well but some people feel that the tiller tends to push the hydrostatic tractor more than the gear. I guess in harder/heavier soils that would be more of an issue. Also the 32" tillers use tines that are (or at least were not long ago) available cheaper aftermarket, where the 36 uses tines that are Simplicity specific and more costly. Some people with sandy soil who garden large areas will wear out tines quickly. The 36" tiller runs one long 96" belt, instead of the two belts, and the idler assembly is simpler and easier to install and it seems to have higher ground clearance. Do both of your tractors have the rear lift kit? 

The 2010 would need the 10" drive pulley to slow the ground speed. I would likely buy and weld the parts from tractor supply.

Both tractors have the rear lift, the 2010 is manual and the 18H is Hydraulic and clearance was made for the tiller belts by the PO. He had sold the tiller before he listed the tractor for sale.

2 hours ago, TheFlash300 said:

Am I just totally of base in my thoughts on value?

Seems expensive to me, but I was taught long ago a fair price is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller.  I would think the surviving unpaired mule drives are few - and of those, few know what they are.  

I think one would be difficult to make, but some folks on this site could probably do it.  In case you want to give it a try here's a couple pics:

IMG_4510.thumb.jpg.4abe9f6de773a8d0a9ca1284933bdda8.jpg

IMG_4509.thumb.jpg.ee72394bd7960b9a9390b0d58df9f43e.jpg

I no longer have that tiller; I sold it years ago (and for much less than the mule drive in the ad).  

On 1/2/2022 at 7:31 AM, TheFlash300 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124821812302

This is the only available listing I have found for the mule drive, but $280 all in seems excessive to me. Am I just totally of base in my thoughts on value?

And that's not even everything you need. You would still need the special pulley for on the bevel gear box and the belt guards that attach to the tractor. The engagement rod attaches to the belt guard so the guard is a must have item. A couple of years ago I saw one of these idler assemblies with the pulley, belt-guide, and all parts needed for $75 at the Evansville show. I bought one missing those parts for $80 the previous year. I have also bought a complete tiller with drive for $45 at an auction but I got lucky.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
TheFlash300

Just an update: I located and purchased a complete 990392 (32" Round Top Tiller) with the Mule Drive in Wisconsin. Also got Extension Tines and covers for the other 990455 (32" Square Top Tiller) and will be picking up this weekend. I got all of it for $200.sm06

For the low speed pulley: 10" with 3/4" hub, I found an ebay seller that will weld the hub and pulley and ship for similar prices as getting the individual parts from Tractor Supply. https://www.ebay.com/itm/382781656498

• Like 3