Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Feels great!!

PatRarick

I live about one mile from a small, farming community with a population of about 250. Last fall, my neighbor's (2 1/2 miles away) 12 year old son was diagnosed with leukimia. He has been in the hospital until just last Saturday. The community has put on a benefit dinner for the family, and all business places in town have a drop box by the cash register for anyone wishing to drop in whatever cash they desire, to help this family. Last week, I was driving out that way, and noticed that the lawn was in terrible shape. Solid yellow with dandelions, high grass in the yard, and very tall grass along the buildings. I went and sprayed the lawn for dandelions. My father and I decided to get the lawn spruced up. We took five tractors and trimmers, grabbed three of my sons, and had the place as neat as a pin in about 30 minutes. My neighbor came home as we were finishing, thanked us graciously, and asked me what he owed. I told him that the only pay I wanted, was for him to get in the house and take care of his son so he could join my sons on the school bus next fall. He never said a word. He didn't have to. He squeezed my shoulder and the look in his eyes said it all. BTW, the boy is in complete remission. Very weak and ill from the treatments, but the prognosis is as good as can be for leukemia. Pat

Good call Pat, that is a great bit of news. What a great story. The milk of human kindness. Doug

Outstanding Pat, Made me feel great just reading. Kindness does spread easily, just think what it showed your children. Dan

I know the "look" and it does feel good. Last weekend I was coming home from the hardware store with my 5 year old daughter. We drove by a car parked by the side of the road and there were two women planting flowers next to two crosses. I slowed down and did a U-turn I stopped next to the ladies and told them that they and family were in my thoughts and prayers. You see, there son and his girlfriend were murdered and there bodies were dumped on the side of the road about one year ago. The five BA$$#@RDS (muderers) were caught and tried so at least the family has some closure. The look I recieved last saturday was worth it, they were very apprieciative and said "kind words such as yours help us through our pain" John H

Great jesture I lost my brother to cancer last friday. He beat the original cancer he had but limphoma started in his liver only lasted a week. Three in a little over 6 mts is enough. My grand neice 8 yrs old in Nov My wife in Feb now my brother last Fri. Comittal service for wife tomorrow. Maynard

Pat, God Bless you. It's amazing how one act of kindness can touch many lives. It's also amazing how many times you get paid back in unexpected ways. It's also nice to feel good about yourself.

Maynard, glad you had some place to vent. To the rest of you, thanks. Please understand that it is not my intention to "toot my own horn". The point is that by helping someone in need, you are helping yourself. As a father of ten, three of which are in college, six still at home, I don't have the financial resources to donate money as I would like. My story is also to show that sometimes a donation of time is also very helpful and appreciated. We don't all have money, but we all have time. Pat

Pat A donation of time is of more value and more appreciated than money. Time comes from the heart. Money comes from the wallet. Any one can give money, It takes a special Person to give of there time money can be replaced time can not. I belong to the Elks and the D.A.V (Disabled American Veterans) I give my time all that i can. Maynard

Pat, your story reminded me of a childhood experience I had on the farm. Guess I was about a jr in hischool. My dad got his rt thumb caught in the corn picker roller on the model 24 on the farmall H. After I turned it backwards and got him free, run to the hosp 40 miles away and the doc said no quick fix here Mr. Hruby, Picking the remaining 80 percent of the corn wwas my ticket for about 3 weeks outta that boring school. 3 days later the neiborhood showed up with pickers of every color and wagons and elavators. Corn harvest was done deal in 3 days. Though my teenage selfisness left me feeling short changed, it was a good feeling to live around and wave at such folks..MPH

Wow...what great stories, and Pat, I love it when I see people living/practicing the Golden Rule, i.e., "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Guess that's pretty universal, in communities/cultures, as someone quoted an Elks' doctrine that was very similar, in another post. Maynard...that is so tough. Three poeple is three too many, but in such a short time. Jeez.... You needn't apologize for venting--that's why it's called venting. It's those that fail to vent that may have something to apologize for, as when pressure is not vented, (think steam) an explosion can be the less preferable alternative. Best wishes to you. Peter