Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 Twin Briggs Engine Failure

davidmoll

Sad day for my 6216.  Well today after our first snowfall of the season I went to start my 6216 and when it cranked the engine didn't sound right and then just a winning noise and PTO not turning.  Thinking the engine blew.  Plenty of oil in it.  Any thoughts. Anyone have a twin briggs they are looking to part with?

Thanks Moleman 

Hi all I think I found a replacement engine.  I found an engine from an MTD tractor which is the same model but not same type anyone now the difference between the two

MTD 402707-0157-01

Mine 402707-0145-01

Any help would be appreciated before I buy it.  Thanks Moleman

I am by no means an expert on opposed twin Briggs, but a little digging around it turns out the important numbers are the same,i.e. bearings, design,carb,ect. The type just designates paint color what it was originally put in, governored speed.
-Tommy 

Edited by AllisChalmers716

Before I’d go swapping engines I definitely make sure the engine was blown. Did the engine run fine when parked last.? Was the engine cranking or just the starter spinning without engaging the flywheel? 

Mentioned this in another topic recently, but if you go "engine shopping" from other tractor brands, be careful.  Some of the Murrays used these engines but with specs for a stepped pto shaft. You cant tell just by looking at the engine if it has it unless you pull the Drive pulley off the engine shaft to see. Engine with that pto wont work in your machine...at least not with the pto pulley for your tractor.

I dont know if any other tractor brands used this particular  type of engine with the stepped shaft.

When I turn the top screen on top of the engine the PTO spins and I feel like I have compression and don't here any grinding.  Does that sound like the engine is OK? Going to look at the flywheel and starter teeth.  

Thanks Dave

That sounds like the engine could be fine. I would check the starter first. If the gear on the starter is not engaging the ring gear on the flywheel, the starter motor will make a whining sound. Can you take the engine shroud off and see what is happening when the you try to start the engine? Sometimes taking the starter off, cleaning where the gear rides will fix it. Sometimes in my kohler horizontal engines the starter gear would get stuck and wouldn’t move when the motor spun. Taking the starter off and cleaning and lubricating  it would fix it. If the engine was fine when it was parked, it’s hard for me to believe that it could get blown by it just sitting there. 

• Like 1

Update, I took apart the top cover off the engine this morning and discovered in fact it was the starter the lost it gearing.  Engine is fine!  I removed the starter and will purchase a new one. Never thought starter would use plastic teeth but I guess that saves the flywheel.  Thanks for everyone's help.  Dave

bad starter.jpeg

• Like 2

If the starter motor still works ok, you should be able to remove the old worn plastic gear and just replace it. If so, it would be a whole lot cheaper than a whole starter.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davidmoll said:

Never thought starter would use plastic teeth

B&S also uses plastic cams in their engines and they love to FAIL. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:, replaced worm gear on my starter for my 6216 tractor and she started right up.  Engine is fine.  Hardest part was driving the pin out of the shaft on the starter.  Thanks to all the guidance received for this repair help. 

Thanks Dave

• Like 2