Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

First snow of 2022

Chris727

Had 3” of heavy wet snow last night. Just enough to play a little. I leave the blade and chains on this 7116H all year round. Some may remember I bought this tractor from @CarlH at @SmilinSam’s ice cream social during the reverse auction back in 2013. Tractor was thought to be on its last leg then but it’s still going with only a few repairs. Suspect it will need a BGB overhaul/replacement before long and I would like to put weights on it. 

099E1FDC-A2AC-4AFE-94F3-EEEE65378EE0.jpeg

960C657C-FA34-4F02-AC8C-80D1C9D65159.jpeg

B94A00C0-E224-4B1C-8794-C4B49B0BEFB6.jpeg

5F88B7CD-59CF-415B-A6EC-EBEE091A7B06.jpeg

A93B7E36-763F-4FF1-9830-1BC0B97D4674.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

I have bad CRS but I don't recall that tractor having a green hood!

Swapped hoods for one in better shape, intended to paint but that probably won’t happen. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

I have bad CRS but I don't recall that tractor having a green hood!

Green hood?  What green hood? 

Maybe you developed color blindness? 

As to snow, I did get a few hours of seat time January 7th with a couple inches of snow.  A "big one" that could have been tonight is going to be a rain event after an inch or two of snow.  It's amazing to me that it could be 9 degrees here this AM and by late this evening it'll be in the low 40's - so it goes living near the east coast where a relatively warm ocean influences the winter weather.  

Even @GregB who lives an hours and half west is going to wind up missing a big one.  Many times he's far enough west that the precipitation doesn't turn to rain.  I'm sure he's been wanting to get that Legacy XL some winter work.  

• Like 2

I've plowed probably 6 times with the 710 and blowed with the 7016 once for berm cleanup and once for a 6-inch snow. We get slow moving northwest fronts that sit here for a week and snow an inch or two every day.  If you don't plow every time, soon you are fighting a 4-5" packed snow driveway with ruts, then it rains, then it freezes, then snows again, etc...

In Montana the weather word is "If you don't like the weather, stick around a few minutes and it will change", and "anyone who tries to predict the Montana weather is either a fool or a newcomer".

Montana holds the record for largest temp change over a 24-hour period in 1972: −54 to 49 °F 

• Like 3

Well Bill,

IMG_3310.thumb.JPG.0ff16d4dacce1b9396f5c0226c7dc40e.JPG

I am ready but last I looked we were in the 1-3 band.  Spent a bunch of time this past week getting this together.  Note to self, do this while it is still warm, not below freezing................

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 720nut said:

Wow -54 to 49*  couldn't even imagine

That's not wind chill, it's actual!

Actually, It happens because of the wind, and is not all that unusual, though the extremes are.

On the eastern Rocky Mountain Front between Glacier National Park and Yellowstone, the mountains confine Arctic fronts and it gets cold. It's sometimes called the Alberta Clipper in the midwest. You get the way-below-zero deep freeze for weeks. Then a northwestern system breaks down the arctic high and that results in strong downsloping winds called Chinooks that are warm and very strong. The record is 143 mph near where the record low/high was recorded. Winds of 60-80 mph are common around the east side of Glacier, so much so that the BNSF built huge steel wind breaks to keep their trains from blowing off the tracks.

Oh...and it doesn't do that where I live on the WEST side of the state. Below zero temps only occur maybe one or two weeks over the winter and wind speeds are moderate. In fact, the usual winter weather is cloudy with +20-40 degree temps. It's calm and 33 degrees right now. We have around 8 inches of snowpack that will stay until late March.

Industrial History: 1906 BNSF/GN Trestle over Midvale Creek in East Glacier  Park Village, MT

• Like 3

Here in Ohio we had a wide range in snow depth, where I live we had 6" to 7" some up in the north east part of the state had 27". I use my walk behind snowblower and just get my exercise and walk it off.

• Like 1

In the am it was 1-2 inches of heavy wet slush, yuck.

So heavy the xl spun the tires going up the hill, even with all the weights on it.

Drove up and plowed down the hill.

Bill probably got rain.......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GregB said:

Bill probably got rain.......

Had maybe an inch of snow before it turned to rain, in morning, nothing left.  

And didn't get as much rain as forecasted, only about 1/2"

My daughter (near Hazleton PA) had more snow than Greg, then rain and the result in the morning was 2" of slush with deeper pockets.  Plowing it made waves (full size tractor).  Now the pastures are an ice rink.  

• Like 1

Didn't change the deck for the blower until Sunday. Sunday night, Monday morning got about a foot of dry powdery snow. Thought I had it made. NOT. Started off in front of the shop well until I got to the ice under the snow about 30 ft out. Back into the shop to install chains. Went at it again and making good progress until electric pto just up and quit. Back into the shop. Lucky; just the connector came unplugged. Back out to do battle again. Going well until blower just stopped AGAIN. Belt shredded. Called local Cub dealer. He had a belt so  I managed to get my wife's vehicle out of the driveway and went to pick up belt. ( my truck was resting in the nice warm shop) Installed belt and finished the job. I HATE SNOW!!!!!!

• Like 2

We didn't get any of that and hoping we don't till I get trans shift solenoid fixed, 6L90 could get real expensive before we're done 

Far as I'm concerned they can shoot that damn woodchuck and bring on the sunshine, tired of all the cold

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Austin
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts