Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

throttle cable

dav-1

well, the old, very old, B-1 made it through the Flywheelers Show. barely. Over all, the tractor is usually quite reliable. This show it decided to be troublesome.

The shutoff on the glass bowl fuel filter leaked, very slowly but constantly. Finally it wouldn't flow gas. Naturally, this was the show that I forgot to grab the tool box as I headed out. A drill bit, borrowed, and a pair of visegrips allowed me to clear the fuel passage. Some debris got into the fuel, flowed into the shutoff above the bowl and packed in a bit tighter each time I turned off the valve until no fuel at all got by.

Up and running again when it developed an intermitant squeal like bare steel on steel. The collar to hold the front wheel bearing in place had backed off a bit. A borrowed allan wrench solved that.

Yesterday morning we started to cruise the exhibits but only got 200 feet before the throttle cable broke. This is going to be a problem. The cable goes thru a small bushing behind the plastic cover on the dash. A lock screw, a very tiny lock screw, clamps the cable into the bushing. Right against the bushing is where it broke.

I can find the cable part number, 2025653, but not the little bushing. I am hoping someone has an idea of what I am talking about and an idea of where to find a new bushing. I don't have the old bushing apart yet but my track record indicates it has a low probability of survival.

I think the cable can be pulled 3/4 of an inch back, clamped and adjusted at the other end.

Any suggestions or hints will be appreciated

• Like 1

FYI, the equivalent Simplicity P/N are: 154293 Throttle Control, 154294 Throttle Cable Housing and 154295 Throttle Cable Wire.

The small throttle cable bushing has a #8-32NC thread and a thru hole. #8-32 tap drill size is #29. I would chuck in lathe and start with a smaller drill from the back side to remove the screw and chase the threads with a tap.

• Like 1

Bill, thanks for the reply and the numbers.

i cut the cable on both sides of the bushing to get the spring washer off and drownded it in pbs yesterday. this afternoon i put it in a small vise and tried...bingo, out came the screw!  i managed to get enough cable to go thru the bushing and tightened it and the tractor is back in operation. the throttle lever is aimed at 1 o'clock when idling instead of at 2 o'clock but i can get used to that. i made sure to never-seize the screw also.

• Like 3

You know you can just buy a generic cable, cut off an end and pull the wire out. Then insert the new wire into your existing sheath giving you all the length you need..... (Pick up one with same diameter inner wire)

Just make sure you don't have any burr on the wire, get the sheath stretched out nice and straight and lube it good before shoving the new wire through. Shazam! You have a re-man'd throttle cable with original outer fittings.

Edited by RAC
  • Like 3