Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
simplejim

model 19 briggs 1959 simplicity 700

HubbardRA
I have pushed over 18Hp through the tranny of my 61 Wards as a puller with no problems. Had a 16 Kohler with the head milled 0.60, carb and valve work, porting, straight tuned exhaust, etc. What you need to watch out for: There is a possibility of cracking the tube from the tranny to the diff, although it has never happened to me. I sheared a woodruff key in the diff (50 cents at hardware store), and mine had the removable hub at the left wheel. Set screws loosened up and broke the hub. Replaced it with later model axle with factory welded on hub. If you want a locked rear, you can take the diff apart, and move some of the washers that separate the left and right axle drive gears to the back side of the left axle gear, this will move the gear outward to intersect both sets of spider gears and lock the diff solid. To go back to open diff, all you have to do is put spacers back in correct location. I also used a 10 Hp for a while and would leave the starting line at 6000 RPM set with the governors. This engine is now in service mowing my lawn with no bad after-effects. Rod H.

simplejim
i bought a mostly original almost junk simplicity 700 out of the weeds for 25 bucks in the early 90s no carb no seat all most no paint left tires drie rotted off it stuck valve...i've been playing with it since got the motor apart it was bored 30 thousands so i had the head milled polished the ports played with different carbs new vavle and head gasket chrome open exhaust new points wider front tires used 12 23 ag tread rear still needs paint and seat how much power can these 700s handle i want to pull this tractor and use it around home but i dont want to tear it up would it hold up to a twin 18 horse engine also would it be easier to biuld up a model 23 or keep working on the model 19 will ths engine hold up to turning the govener up 4000 rpm also does anyone know how many of the 700s were made and how many of the 725s

HubbardRA
I'm pretty sure that most movers will fit. The 48 inch may not because it will likely hit your rear tires because of the shorter wheelbase on your machine. The rear lift will fit. I took the rear lift of my 61 and put it on my 77AC. Had to make a longer rod and bend a couple of kinks in it. Rod H.