Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
aquick

Has anyone tried the Honda conversion kit from SEW

aquick
I'm thinking about putting a Honda in my 9020(my Onan has alot of blowby when I try to use the PTO)and I was wondering if anyone had an HONEST opinion on the kit that Small Engine Warehouse sells.

Stush
ONAN in my AC616 was finally getting some blowby too. I had a complete overhaul done by a reputable engine shop. Power was restored. It used some oil last season but what little it used became less and less. This season (02) consumption 0 unless I pull it really hard then just a very very small amount. So you might want to consider doing same. Stush

carter
A good friend of mine is a retired John Deere (full size ag) dealer. He sold a lot of lawn tractors too. He won't rebuild a Onan except to replace the short block. Only a couple of hundred dollars more for parts and a lot better chance of having a happy customer afterwards. My $.02 Ron

Dutch
Angelo, I don't know anything about the SEW kits, and very little about a 9020. I'll just share my thoughts with you. If you spend over $1000 on a new engine, whats a few hundred more to do a professional installation? Unless you are an experienced mechanic, with a fully equipped shop, and access to an inventory of parts, you will spend many hours (and $$$) finding the correct parts. If you do a hack job with the installation, you will always have problems and you will have substantially reduced the value of a valuable tractor. If the new engine blows up, your installation will be blamed.

powermax_paul
Angelo, I agree with Dutch. Also, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have the time to come up with a kit on my own. The SEW kit would save a lot of time and frustration, I think. If I were in the need to rebuild one of my onan's, I'd jump for a newer engine in a minute! I like my onan's, but parts are getting so expensive and hard to find that I would make the change. I'd really like to find a way to put a diesel in one of my tractors, just for the novelty. Paul