Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Thoughts and opinions please

equipment guy

Hi all, 

I’m asking this same question on Red Square also. 
I am in need of 2 small loader tractors, to handle firewood chores at my place, and my son’s home. 
price point seems to put me in the 1990,s - maybe early 2,000’s. Garden tractor series that I’m considering are:  Simplicity Legacy, Wheel Horse XI, and Ariens GT. Which do you prefer, and why? 
Safety is top priority, and I think power steering is a must, as well as available implements for other tasks. 
I just bought a XI with loader, but no power steering. However, I don’t think that will be ideal for the terrain it will be used on. It is a donor loader though… I will probably set the tractor up with the mower deck, and sell it to help fund some of this endeavor… 

Thanks for your help, Ryan  

Yes, it is a Wheel Horse 520XI, and I thought the 20 HP and up all had power steering, but nope. I guess liquid cooled 20 all did, but Kohler powered 20’s it was an option. 

On 2/28/2022 at 5:34 AM, dhoadley said:

I think he's referring to a Wheel Horse.

Sorry both were mentioned, not up on the other brands

• Like 2

Near me, Wheel Horse, and Ariens are the most plentiful, as there were dealers for both in the next town over. I got the Simplicity bug when I traded for a “73 4041. I also have a “79 9020, and a “91 Sunstar 20. 
There is a early legacy with loader about 3 hours from me, 1200 hours on it… thoughts on one of these? I have never even seen one in person. 
I have been considering a Wheel Horse, or Ariens GT because of parts, and implement availability close by.

5 hours ago, equipment guy said:

Near me, Wheel Horse, and Ariens are the most plentiful, as there were dealers for both in the next town over. I got the Simplicity bug when I traded for a “73 4041. I also have a “79 9020, and a “91 Sunstar 20. 
There is a early legacy with loader about 3 hours from me, 1200 hours on it… thoughts on one of these? I have never even seen one in person. 
I have been considering a Wheel Horse, or Ariens GT because of parts, and implement availability close by.

Was going to say I have an early Legacy with a loader, that I'd sell ya but see your in Mass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 720nut said:

Was going to say I have an early Legacy with a loader, that I'd sell ya but see your in Mass.

Yea, a lot of this stuff is hard to come by out here.  I’ve been as far as the western part of Ohio, northern Maryland, and the northern extremes of New England chasing tractors, parts, and implements. 

• Like 2

A lot of guys really like the Legacy XL's but the price is usually considerably higher than the earlier Legacy. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chris727 said:

A lot of guys really like the Legacy XL's but the price is usually considerably higher than the earlier Legacy. 

Yea, with a FEL, the XL’s seem to be more than double what I found a early legacy for…

16 hours ago, equipment guy said:

Yea, with a FEL, the XL’s seem to be more than double what I found a early legacy for…

Yeah, here in the rust belt, the early Legacy/Loader combo can be found with some patience and a fast draw, in the $2000-3000 range.  They are very commonly listed for more.  4x4 XL's with a loader have pretty much settled in at around $6000-7500, depending on deck, hours, options. Again, much higher priced units can be found almost always.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 12:34 PM, 720nut said:

Looks like you are about 12 hours from me. I may take you up on that if it’s still available when the weather gets a little better.