Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Early Transaxle Failure

Bill725

Apparently rear wheels stuck in ice and owner tried to power it out when foot slipped off clutch pedal and BOOM!

Trans-1.jpg

B110 Trans-2.jpg

• Sad 4

equipment guy

Oh wow, I blew out a axle housing on a T-10 35 years ago, but nothing like that! Parts were available back then. 

• Like 2

Hey Bill, I saw that one on facebook.  Never have seen anything like it in person.  I would love to know the sequence of failure that caused it tho.  It is amazing how much torque is generated at the axle by these tractors!

Steve

• Like 2

Worn keyway.  The key in the tube axle eventually gets worn enough that it actually rotates or "rolls" in the keyway breaking the tube axle.  Common problem with old /many hours equipment that has never been checked or rebuilt.

1 hour ago, MikeES said:

The key in the tube axle eventually gets worn enough that it actually rotates or "rolls" in the keyway breaking the tube axle.

I'm familiar this method of breakage of an axle tube.  

But I hadn't seen an axle tube break lead to gear case destruction before.  I don't remember any one on this site writing about it or posting pics.  

• Like 1

I have been there and done that (while pulling), and I posted a prevention tip to save the gear case.  It is something we did with the pulling tractors.

Installing a muffler clamp on the right side tube axle to prevent the axle tube from spiral unwinding when it breaks and taking out the gear case.

axle clamp.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@MikeES

Thanks for the reply; I remember the muffler clamp idea; I guess I forgot the gearcase part.  :(

• Like 1