Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

vickers hydrostatic HELP!!!

tg french

I have developed a tranny leak on my 3416 simplicity.  I've checked the diag. and can't find the part or description on any of the parts sites.  Tranny oil is leaking around the circled shaft.  Anyone have a clue, concerning the name and/or oil seal description?

simplicity transmission.png

Looks like the infamous Vickers pintle shaft leak. My understanding is the housing need to be bored for bronze bushings and seals.

• Like 3

What @Bill725 said.

My comment from a resent post:

As to the Vikers hydro leak, the pintle shaft is notorious for leaking; the amount of leak depending on age and usage.  If you search the forums for "Vickers Leak" or "pintle leak", etc, you'll find many posts describing the issue.  This one has Al Edens thoughts:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/1486-vickers-hydro-leak/

Or these more recent posts by @Chris727:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/59729-fun-with-a-vickers/

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/60461-vickers-rebuild-completed/

• Like 1

Can anyone provide insight on swapping a Vickers hydro for a Sundstrand? I would think you have to change from Sundstrand side plates on back. What about control linkages?

1 hour ago, Bill725 said:

Can anyone provide insight on swapping a Vickers hydro for a Sundstrand?

That would be @SmilinSam

I would think you have to change from Sundstrand side plates on back.

The 3416H side plates are OK - the left one has the expanded hole to get it over the welded on left hub on the axle (earlier Vickers units used the removable hub and the plate hole was small).

What about control linkages?

That's the main issue.  

You need a donor tractor to take the entire Sundstrand transmission assembly (controls and all) and rear framework to move into the vickers tractor. Most likely you will have to cut the hydro lever  sleeve out of the sundstrand tractor frame too, ...cut a hole into the vickers tractor frame in the same location..and weld that sleeve into your vickers tractor frame.

I have done this operation a number of times, and still have the last tractor I did this to sitting here.... a 3310H.

• Like 2

Once repaired the Vickers is a smoother operating unit than the Sunstrand. I have four machines with Vickers here now. One is an HB-112 and it leaks terribly. It’s on my list for this summer to get it apart and bored/bushed. 

Had good luck putting a cap around shaft with a good clamp , u got to grind the cast ridge on transmission a little on left side to make it fit .

1 minute ago, a_sannine said:

Had good luck putting a cap around shaft with a good clamp , u got to grind the cast ridge on transmission a little on left side to make it fit .

How about a pic?

• Like 1