Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mobil 424 in a sovereign?

U.S. Vintage Iron

I’m changing the transmission and BGB fluid in my Simplicity Sovereign. Some of the guys on the site have given me good recommendations on replacements for the simplicity multipurpose hydraulic/transmission fluid. I noticed at work the other day that we have Mobil 424 multipurpose hydraulic/transmission fluid. Could anyone verify if this would be a suitable replacement?   Thanks 

It’s probably fine to use. I looked at the specs of the fluid and it seems to be similar with many of the fluids recommended for the hydro on the Sovereign. I would probably use it if it’s all I could get. I use Tractor Supply Premium hydro fluid because it’s what I can get locally, plus it’s marketed for Sundstrand hydro units. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, rbstuartjr said:

It’s probably fine to use. I looked at the specs of the fluid and it seems to be similar with many of the fluids recommended for the hydro on the Sovereign. I would probably use it if it’s all I could get. I use Tractor Supply Premium hydro fluid because it’s what I can get locally, plus it’s marketed for Sundstrand hydro units. 

I could get other oil if necessary. I just figured with as expensive as everything is getting that this available to me and I asked my manager and he said it would be ok to bring a gallon or two home with me. 

Thank you for responding 

According to the specs it’s a replacement for type F tranny fluid, and type F is one of the fluids that is recommended for the hydro unit. So given that, it’s probably fine.  I believe you only need 2 quarts for the hydro. 

• Like 2

Got some information last evening from a transmission man. The 1970 transmission were built for type F automatic transmission fluid, but today type F is different and eats the seals out is what I was informed. Todays seals are made to handle todays type F

• Like 1

FYI, I use Amsoil Tractor/Transmission Oil in both of my Sovereign Sundstrand hydros and going to be change my Legacy XL over soon.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bill725 said:

FYI, I use Amsoil Tractor/Transmission Oil in both of my Sovereign Sundstrand hydros and going to be change my Legacy XL over soon.

Thanks for the information and for responding.  I’ll keep it in mind. Yourself as well as others here have been incredibly helpful. The company I was working for went through a workforce reduction and I was number 5 from the bottom in seniority out of 43 guys that were laid off. Thankfully I had a new job right away but I also took a 40% pay cut. I noticed the Mobil 424 at work and the manager said I could take some home so I figured if it would work then it could save me a few bucks. 

I’m also having a hard time finding the simplicity filter locally and I know some of the guys here use Napa or Wix. I believe the Napa number is 1335 and Wix is 51335. Can you or anybody else reading this comment if these filters are as good as the simplicity or if I should just buy a simplicity filter. 

I am using Schaffers hydro transmission oil in my newer sovereigns and it works fine.  It is full synthetic.  I would also agreee with Bill on the Amsoil products.  I used their motor oil and filters for years when I drove alot of miles.  I ran 25000 miles to a change on a Corolla, it had 300,000 miles on it when it was totaled out in an accident (after I sold it to a friend) and the engine was never touched.  For filters, I was lucky enough to find a couple of filters at a Simplicity dealer for them.

Steve

• Like 1

I seen we had Schaffer’s at work but no hydraulic fluid. Hope my Honda gets to high mileage like your Toyota. I was doing about 90 miles a day round trip. My new job I’m only doing about 50 so it might be awhile 

2 hours ago, steve-wis said:

I am using Schaffers hydro transmission oil in my newer sovereigns and it works fine.

In my opinion that is one of the best oils out there but not very popular.  My engine shop sells that oil exclusively.

• Like 2

Shaun, when I lived in Wisconsin I never heard of it, but Amsoil was very popular.  Now I am in Iowa, and here Schaffers is very popular.  I checked them out as best I could and found nothing but good about their products.  Then I bought my Sovereign from a guy near me, and he used their motor oil and also their hydro oil exclusively.  I had to change the hydro oil so I stayed with the Schaffers.  Then I also bought an Allis 919 from him, and same thing, always had Schaffers for hydro and motor oil.  So I am using it exclusively now, even in my old Yeoman 627 briggs.  I like to stay with one brand, keep it simple.

Steve

• Like 2

Shaeffer's is also the oldest lubricant manufacturer in the country.  The Shaeffer's rep I use is also a rep for Filtermag which is another product I use in everything I own that has a filter.  You're completely correct though on stating it's not common.  The marketing that Amsoil & others use has really pushed Shaeffer's in the shadows.  "Officially" making it inferior to the rest (sarcasm)!  I agree it's one of the best oils out there but not easy to find if you aren't aware of it's existence.

• Like 2