Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Flying belt on a '64 Landlord

Hey folks! I have a newly acquired 1964 Simplicity Landlord. It has a 42" deck and each time that I engage the mower blades AND/OR increase the throttle speed the belt from the comes off. I have an operator's manual and it describes how to adjust the tension of the clutch lever which I have done. By the way, the previous owner had placed a 45 degree bend in the clutch rod and the clutch lever assembly would not stay engaged. I replaced the clutch rod and it now engages but the belt flies off under throttle acceleration. HELP!! Thanks.

ScottS
Yep I know the feeling. The crossdrive belt from my 3112 h did the same thing. The idler pulley to keep tension on the spindle drive belt was almost locked completly up. Cut the rivet heads off and changed the bearing and used screw and nuts to put pulley halves back together. Took a hammer and punch and peened the ends of the bolts to keep the nuts on. Solved that opportunity. Check the bearings on the center spindle if the idler is ok